xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

ATI Radeon 9250 Issues Ive been working on it for weeks now...

I recently bought an ATI Radeon 9250 256mb, my computer comes with an nVIDA nforce chipset (Driver: nVIDA Geforce 2 Integrated GPU, VGA compatible). It worked great at first but later i started having problems. Logan (Deathbringer) helped me get it working again...sortof. What he told me to do was to uninstall the previous nVIDA drivers and use a driver cleaner to erase everything the uninstaller did not. It made sense, then i was to put the Radeon card in, start in safe mode and uninstall the Radeon drivers and clean off all the ATI drivers using the DC again. I restarted the computer normally and installed the latest ATI catalyst drivers from the website. I restarted the computer again. I guess running the computer is fine, except i noticed a few issues:1. Whenever i minimize a window (the third button from the top right hand corner), I'll see that little animation bringing the window down, but the screen will just hang there for a second before actually minimizing. 2. After installing the ATI drivers and restarting, i kept getting an error message saying the driver restarted itself because of a problem. 3. Whenever the computer starts and goes into the login screen, it'll sortof "fade" right? Well my screen will have like a normal screen (Windows is Starting screen), then a half-grey normal screen, then the login screen. All within a half a second of each other.Before, all i had to do was remove the ATI card, and everything ran smoothly again. Now even if i remove it I'll get these poor animation problems. Probably because i removed the nVIDA drivers. What i didn't clean from the driver cleaner though, was the one marked "nforce chipset". Is this necessary?Also, everytime i start my computer, the "power light" beside my "power button" turns red instead of green and starts blinking. The monitor shows nothing at all. I have to turn it off and turn it on again. (And one press of the power button will do it, instead of pressing and holding it) I've been having so many problems with this i hope anyone can help me, the forum in Sapphire technologies website didn't even bother. Thanks!*Note: I sent this off to moonwitch in a pm because i think she used ot have problems with this too in her previous post?

What kind of problems did you have with your Radeon before?

The part about the power light makes me a bit worried...just for the sake of it, try checking your card's connection to the agp slot...I actually had a similiar problem with my 9600 XT when i kept on taking it out and putting it back in. Just had to make sure it locked back and cleaned off some dust and it seemed to work again.

Did this power light problem happen immediately after your driver reinstall or after some tries of taking it out and putting it back in?

Regarding the driver issue...I don't have personal experience in this but I am unsure whether you need to uninstall the previous drivers...If things are acting up...I suggest you revert back to the nvidia intergrated first and then add the Radeon and install the drivers on top of it. See if that works. It should automatically override in my opinion.

I recently bought an ATI Radeon 9250 256mb, my computer comes with an nVIDA nforce chipset (Driver: nVIDA Geforce 2 Integrated GPU, VGA compatible). It worked great at first but later i started having problems. Logan (Deathbringer) helped me get it working again...sortof. What he told me to do was to uninstall the previous nVIDA drivers and use a driver cleaner to erase everything the uninstaller did not. It made sense, then i was to put the Radeon card in, start in safe mode and uninstall the Radeon drivers and clean off all the ATI drivers using the DC again. I restarted the computer normally and installed the latest ATI catalyst drivers from the website. I restarted the computer again.
I guess running the computer is fine, except i noticed a few issues:

1. Whenever i minimize a window (the third button from the top right hand corner), I'll see that little animation bringing the window down, but the screen will just hang there for a second before actually minimizing.

2. After installing the ATI drivers and restarting, i kept getting an error message saying the driver restarted itself because of a problem.

3. Whenever the computer starts and goes into the login screen, it'll sortof "fade" right? Well my screen will have like a normal screen (Windows is Starting screen), then a half-grey normal screen, then the login screen. All within a half a second of each other.

Before, all i had to do was remove the ATI card, and everything ran smoothly again. Now even if i remove it I'll get these poor animation problems. Probably because i removed the nVIDA drivers. What i didn't clean from the driver cleaner though, was the one marked "nforce chipset". Is this necessary?

Also, everytime i start my computer, the "power light" beside my "power button" turns red instead of green and starts blinking. The monitor shows nothing at all. I have to turn it off and turn it on again. (And one press of the power button will do it, instead of pressing and holding it) I've been having so many problems with this i hope anyone can help me, the forum in Sapphire technologies website didn't even bother. Thanks!

*Note: I sent this off to moonwitch in a pm because i think she used ot have problems with this too in her previous post?

Thanks roggle. No the red blinking light thing started long before i began trying to fix this whole mess. It may have something to do with the AGP card. I don't know but when i remove the card, the computer still starts up with the red light. I came back from school today and realized my computer didn't work again even though i thought i managed to fix it yesterday. I did a series of test runs and in the end i just had to run smack into my bed, cry into my pillow and sleep. :P

Now i'm up and i wrote a report on what i did basically. I'm going to quote it here:

First try at turning on my computer (Also what happens all the time): - Press blue power on button
- Beside the power on button, the little green light that's supposed to flash green starts flashing red and there's no indication on the monitor screen, i have no choice but to restart the computer
- I press the power on button again
- This time the computer boots normally
- When it ends up in the login screen,
- I try to click my name but once my cursor goes over the any of the names, all the little display pics of each name will suddenly jump all the way to the right and the computer will hang and never revive itself.
- Turn off computer

Second try at turning on my computer:
- Press blue power on button
- Beside the power on button, the little green light that's supposed to flash green starts flashing red and there's no indication on the monitor screen, i have no choice but to restart the computer
- It starts, the Compaq red logo is the first thing i see. I press F10 for the setup screen.
- I go to PCI devices/controllers (forgot what it is)
- I disable VGA controller which is initally set at IRQ 10.
- I accept everything and save the changes.
- the computer boots up into the login screen.
- I put my cursor over my name, it "glows" like the usual animation but when i put the cursor over any other names it'll make the other 2 display pics jump all the way to the right of the screen and the computer will hang.
- Turn off Computer.

Third try at turning on my computer:
- Press blue power on button
- It starts, the Compaq red logo is the first thing i see. I press F10 for the setup screen.
- I go to PCI devices/controllers (forgot what it is)
- I disable VGA controller which is initally set at IRQ 10.
- I accept everything and save the changes.
- the computer boots up into the login screen.
- I put my cursor over my name, it "glows" like the usual animation.
- This time, i immediately click it, enter my password and login. It works, but when it loads my desktop, it begins a series of blackouts that end up having a little error screen saying the VPU Recover has reset the graphics accelerator or something and asked me to send an error report.

That's about it. I think my only options left here are to either get a new PC or do a complete re-partitioning of my hard drive (which includes partitioning the hard drive at least 7 times over which'll probably take 7 hours). *sigh* Not once have i ever bought a hardware product and got it to run smoothly. Not ONCE in my life.....Why can't i just be like everyone else who just buys a hardware and leaves happy?

EDIT: That reminds me roggle. I think i didn't read your question fully. I believe i DID remove and put the Radeon card a couple times before and the power light started showing these weird "symptoms" if that's what you want to call it. Nonetheless, the red light appears anyway even without the card.
Edited by techocian (see edit history)

I think I've got it right now roggle. I installed the nVIDIA again and reinstalled ATI. I'm not sure if its going to have more issues again but at the moment it seems sound.

Here are the BIOS pics u requested.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They're all in order. Like i said, it looks NOTHING like the BIOS i saw in that compaq site. Maybe i need a BIOS upgrade..?

There must be a setting somewhere under advanced to let you disable your onboard graphics.Also should get rid of the nvidia drivers again if you can.You also said something about a vpu recover resetting your graphics accelerator...Since you've tried upgrading your motherboard/graphics/bios drivers, if the bios fix doesn't work, then you might have on your hands a faulty card especially when you say it only starts resetting when it is put under heavy load.

Replying to techocianThis is my first post. The reason is to let you guys know the way to solve this problem. Very simple. Go to Control Panel-System-Hardware-Device manager.Under System Devices, find VIA CPU to AGP2.0/3.0Controller,Right click to choose Update Driver.Then choose "No,not this time", click next,Choose "Install from a list or sepcfic location", click next, choose "Don't search...", click next,Select "PCI standard PCi to PCI bridge",click next. Finally, restart.-lanselot

Feedbacker's fix worked on my Raedon 9800 in Windows XP! Thank You! I was constantly getting the VPU Recover error, and now everything works fine.

-reply by moonlitkim

GTAIV... requires shader 3 or above!!ATI Radeon 9250 Issues

Hi,for the last 3 days I have been trying to instal and play my new copy of GTAIV. To start off with,on the games attempted launch ,I got  this error D3D50...Which it said was a Direct X9 issue,so I reinstalled Direct X9...But now I get this error... ' requires shader 3 or above',when I try to launch GTAIV!  I have an ATI 9550 graphics card,and have downloaded the latest ATI drivers and software pack, but I still get a black screen and then crash to desktop with the same error  'shader 3 or above is required!' ... Any ideas for a 'fix' on this problem please?  Thank you!...

-question by Sgt Smit