xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Little Hikadorai 3d model

Note: I am not sure if this is the right section for putting up 3d designs. If it has to be some other section, moderators, please move the thread.

I have been involved in a forum based fantasy RPG, and I wanted to appreciate a continued support of one of our member. Hence, I decided to make a 3d model of her character, and I am about half way through. I thought I could share it with you all, so I get some feedback as I progress.

Here is the incomplete polygon model of "Little":

Posted Image

To this, on the application of Catmul-Clark Subdivision algorithm, I get the following image:

Posted Image

I know, there is no point in applying the Subdiv at this point, when the model is incomplete, but it gives a fair idea of how the model would result, in the end after completion (and applicaiton of Subdiv, ofcourse).

I used Blender as the tool. It is a Open Source tool. (See '3d design' blog post, in my blog, Splat!).

The model is still incomplete, and it still has more work to be done (The ears, and fingers of hands and feet are not done yet). Still, you can give in your feedback.

Also, I have about eight or nine images of the model I took from the scratch as I progressed. If you all are interested, I would post them here, or something like that.

Clothing? :P Am I in trouble?

Yes m^e. I would be putting on those on the model, but do not worry. I wont be adding any more anatomical details on those regions. Artistically speaking, I do not have a problem designing those, but I see that those are unessasary details for a PG-13 rated forum RPG. Trust me, if I were to put in the details, I will not be posting it here on Xisto. I will go searching for some Art forum. ;)

Anyway, why I put here are for two things. One is obvious the feedback.

The other is trying to contribute to Xisto as reference/resource site. You know, kind of sequence of snapshots, that give the idea of how a 3d object is modelled.

Something like this:

I start off with a cylinder. and then after several cuts around it, and lining the muscles, I get the basic form of a torso:

Posted Image

Then, I extrude from the lower part the legs, and from the sholder the hands, and then move around the vertices to get the basic form of the hands and legs.

Posted Image

I use a cube for the face, that is sub-divided in three parts, and the vertices are arranged to get the basic shape of the head. The head in modelled near the body to get proper sense of scale.

Posted Image

More details are put into the face, and then finally it is connected to the neck:

Posted Image

The full snapshot of the model to this moment, is what I have given in the previous post.

Yes, Samuel, as I said to m^e, I would be doing that, once I finish the basic model of the body. I have to get the bounds right before going for another layer, that is, the clothes.

Anyway, I was able to put everything neatly in a webpage and hosted it at my google pages:
https://sites.google.com/site/kmaheshbhat/projectlittle

Well lets see it looks good from a cartoonish point of view, if your going for realism get some reference pictures! In fact get some reference pictures anyways since they help A LOT! I have no idea what program you are using, but you need to get some better smoothing in there because it looks like its all faceted which really doesnt do much for the model, er nm saw that it said Blender, well I am not too familiar with blender but in 3ds max theres an option like meshsmooth or turbosmooth which smooths it out without leaving those facets that you can see.

Oh! This tread came up from back in time. That really shows how I leave my projects incomplete. There have been many reasons, but I think I will get into it soon. (Recently, I have been studying for Oracle certification - got an OCP finally. Yay!) Anyway, Demonhawk, I am not going for ultra realism. Moderate realism, but a tint of Anime. I do use references when modelling in Blender. As a matter of fact, I did use a anime profile and front picture to do the above model - that is the reason I got the proportions right. Else, I find it hard to get the proportions right, when I do free form in CG. I do get proportions rather OK when I do actual sketching. Anyway, the model is facet for one reason - it is a Sub-D model. That is, it is a Sub-Division based model. (For more information on this, this link should help - http://www.vfxwizard.com/grimoire/).In this process of desiging, one only designs the control cage, and designs it in conformance with the muscle topology. Once that is done, the intermediary polygons are generated during render time, and they can be generated to any level (atleast, theoratically). That way, it reduces the load on the workstation during design time.

I understand what Sub-D is, I didnt realize blender calculates it render time, in 3dsmax I use sub-d all the time and it calculates it in viewport if you want, which is what I prefer, but you can set it to do it during render. Also I assumed you were showing renderings which I realize they are not now :D. Other then that its looking good, go finish it!

Edited by Demonhawk (see edit history)

The point of working with Sub-D is that you need not worry about the resource hogging during the design time. Another reason why one should rather switch off the Sub-D on view port during design time is that it might lead to what is called Messy meshes. After the modelling if the base mesh turns out to be a 'messy mesh' then the following needs to be dealth with:
- The UV mapping needs to be tweaked a lot to get a decent result
- When rigging for animation, everything gets messed up when binding to the bones.