xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Seagate To Laungh 750GB Drive !!

????[/tab]In a giant leap from the previous industry maximum of 500GB - Seagate has come up with a new Barracuda with a whopping 750Gigs of storage - a solid 50% increase over the earlier mark, setting an all time record. This is supposed to be the biggest and fastest jump in the past 50-years of history of the storage industry.

????This drive is primarily intended for internal use in desktop systems and will be launched this Wednesday. The external variety is soon to follow sometime next week.

Analysts say a 750-gigabyte drive could hold roughly 375 hours of standard-definition television programming, about 75 hours of high-definition video, or more than 10,000 music CDs converted to the MP3 digital audio format.

[tab]Such rapid development comes in the light of a new technology called Perpendicular Recording that allows the manufacturers to boost the data density of disks by vertical alignment of data bits rather than the old standard horizontal alignment. This technology is being employed by both Seagate and it's rival Hitachi Global Storage Technologies - leading to the rapid deployment of larger and larger hard drives while maintaining reliability to the utmost.

Read the full article at: Seagate to unveil 750-gigabyte hard drives

Interesting that they would run it the roughly the same price tag for the 500GB HD, some of them where what 4-$500 depending who you bought it from?But with this big of hard drive I only see major corporations using this especially big name webhosting sites. *cough*

*drools*Oh man - if I got my hands on a HD that big I would then start spending insane amounts of money on new CDs just because I'd have so much free space to fill up with MP3s.Yeah, I think I'll stick with my 30G for now *grins*

Hehe ... eat your hearts out! I got myself a new 200gb HDD. Now, with my 160GB, that's 360GB baby :P. But, yea, if the 750GB thing comes out, that'll be great. Let's face it, we need more and more space. So, I guess hard disks will just keep getting more and more massive, while becoming cheaper and smaller. Wonder if the 750GB harddisk works properly with Windows.

Hehe ... eat your hearts out! I got myself a new 200gb HDD. Now, with my 160GB, that's 360GB baby ;).

But, yea, if the 750GB thing comes out, that'll be great. Let's face it, we need more and more space. So, I guess hard disks will just keep getting more and more massive, while becoming cheaper and smaller. Wonder if the 750GB harddisk works properly with Windows.

Biatttttccccccccch :P You beat me to it by a hair's breadth.. Just yesterday I bought a new 160GB SATA2 Seagate Barracuda - bringing up my total to 320GB .. :P Hmmm.. I gotta make up for that 40GB shotfall soon :) BTW, I think I still have you wiped clean in the RAM front with a whopping 1.5 Gigs DDR2 ;)

BTW, I think I still have you wiped clean in the RAM front with a whopping 1.5 Gigs DDR2:P

Curses! Foiled again! I've only got a piddling 512MB. But don't worry ... gonna start working in July. I'm gonna build myself a comp to end all comps :P

What I don't like about those massive Hard Disks is that I don't believe they are stable, because it would be a pity to loose your files, wouldn't it ? in some hdd crash, Today I only trust 80 GB hard disks to be the most stable ones, I use a 160 GB one and usually am afraid that one day I will loose all my music, that is why my brother started to make DVD backups of mp3. :P

it would be a pity to loose your files, wouldn't it ?

Of course, you must not trust a single hard drive.You must at least have two of them, in RAID1 mode. Or have a way of fast and reliable tape backup system.
Unless you use Sarah81's method, using a lot of DVD's for backing up your data.

I don't know. I've been using my 160gb for a year and half now without any problems. Take it with me everywhere i go ... home, friend's college, train journeys ... even to my relative's to fix their comps and install software ... no problems yet. That's the reason I bought the 200gb, so I can take all the mp3s floating on the campus LAN with me before I pass out in another month or so. Maybe even the videos and movies too. Hard to get stuff in my area :P. Btw, both are IDE drives ... 160b - samsung and 200gb - seagate.

I too am holding strong with two hd's totalling 320 gigs (1.5 gigs of ram here too m^e, as a random note heh) But yea I would love to get my hands on one of those suckers. I keep having to burn stacks of dvd's to clear my hd's off when they fill up with random crap I work on and so forth. 750gigs would probably keep me non-*****ing about running out of space for a few months at least :POh and I'd probably trust it by itself too... I'd backup important data but for the most part let it fly. I've only ever had one HD have any issues and I had lots of time to get my data off before it finally kicked the bucket.

750 gigs, 3/4 of a terrabyte!Basically this will mean that servers with consumer goods need less space for hard drives!As others say, we do need more space now, but I think 750gigs is a bit much!As with Perpendicular Recording, this is something clever that had not been thoroughly thought enough before, so I will search into it, Perpendicular Recording is very clever!Compuccino

I think 750 isn't as much as you all think. Possibly it's more then enough for you, individually, but not all home users.Just think back 3 or 4 years ago when we thought 80 or 100 gig hard drives were so huge that no one would ever need more space. Well as I mentioned, I have about 320 gigs of space and about 20 gigs free...I think 750gig is alot for now, but not too much, and in a couple years it'll be common place probably among people who like to store their data.

Jeigh is right. With broadband speeds increasing and the higher availability of downloadable media 750 gb will soon start seeming normal. Remember the days of dial up or isdn when most downloadable media was around 30-60 mb including movies?Now we have much higher quality videos out there and once large hard drives and fast broadband becomes a norm, you can expect the size of downloads to expand to fill this space.Anyone know what's the speed on these babies? Does the large space affects its reading/seeking time at all? From what I read they did something like increase the density of the information as compared to just making larger platters so perhaps it shouldn't affect transfer speeds that much.

This is most interesting. The last time I was gong around looking for and researching HDDs, I'd run into the 500 GB drive. Now a 750; that is something to look out for.

However, with the rate of progress really staming things in the computing world; and, with the a d v ent of gigabit transfer internet capability, and also, the massive ammounts of multimedia that 'normal' everyday folks like myslf play around with, it seems like the general population (whereever in the world) is going to be thirsting for much higher amunts of storage.

Not only this. With the possible onset of much faster processors and computers being fitted with very lage abmounts of RAM - seek times for stored data will become the next thing to look out for. As OS's develop and computers become more capable of processing data at multi gigabit speed, drives are goig to be very hard pressed to be able to transmit data and read/write to and from storage.

I'm really looking out for 3D Holographic storage (read more about it here), which combined with quantum computing, should push the wrld into a completely new era.

For now, the 750GB drive seems just the right thing for me to pick up, just as soon as I've finished saving u for it.

Wow, fast development...I recently upgraded to 500GB (2 x 250 GB). And I had a whopping 200GB free. Besides, having single large disks arn't safe because if it crashes all you data is lost, instead if the data was split across disks if one crashes atleast part of the data would be recovered.