xisto Community
amitbhandari

How Parental Control Software Works

Parental control software sits on the computer between a browser and the Internet, it's something like a firewall - no data can be sent to and from the Internet by the browser without it first being checked by the software.

Ways of blocking in Parental Control Software

There are three ways by which parental control software block sites or their contents:

(i)   They check requested URLs against a list of blocked sites in their repository, which is automatically updated like anti-virus updates.(ii)  The software checks the text on the site for banned words. If it finds any such words, it blocks the site's content, if not, it moves on to the next step.(iii) The software then checks the images on the site. Using a special algorithm, it determines whether the image contains too much "skin color", and blocks it.

If the site that is being requested fails test 1 or 2, you get an error page. If the site passes test 1 and 2, but fails test 3, then the site gets rendered without the possibly offensive images.

The setting is controlled via the options, and different software have different settings. As a result, some software might actually block the entire site if any images fail test 3.

Considering that a home might have children of different ages, many parental control software allow for the user accounts to be created. Each account can have different "paranoia" settings. So, for example, you can set the security level to maximum for your 8-year old, but relax the setting for your 15-year old.

However, these software are still not, and chances are that some clearly disguised adult content may get through. Also, it is more likely that a lot of innocent content might get blocked. For example, web pages that talk about "breast cancer" might be blocked because of the word "breast".

Most parental control software allow to admninister the browsing habits of the children, so not only can you see what sites that were trying to visit, the sites can also be approved that were inappropriately blocked. The pros of these software outweigh the cons a million to one in this case, and if there are Ne-savvy kids, the parental control software is highly recommended.

:P

Well parental control software is increasing and improving, but the problem is that there are some ways to get round them. I have Norton AntiVirus and all you have to do to turn the parental control off is go to the control panel and simply turn it off:).Also, searching on search engines such as Altavista can also get past filters (eg. my school one).I know these problems can be patched up quickly, but for the time being some parental control systems fail in a way.Compuccino

At school everyone is constantly finding ways around the "Bess" block. A good way used to be to use Babblefish to translate an English page from Japanese or something to English. That got blocked after a short while.Now the most commonly used way of getting around it is to use a cgi-proxy, they keep getting blocked after a week or so, but everyone finds more. We're never in short supply. Some of my friends have even made their own proxy, so there's a nion-unlimited supply at hand.Parental controls in my eyes is just a minor annoyance, even this site's blocked at my school!

Speaking of schools blocking access ...

Del Mar College (here in Texas, where the weather is great - haha!) recently banned Myspace.com from school computers and Internet connections. Their IT pros estimated that about 40 percent of their traffic was going to this site.

But that won't last very long. Kid figure out how to get around blocks all the time. And now Myspace will be even more popular because it's off limits.

HOW TO GET PAST PARENTAL CONTROLS! REALLY WORKS!

How Parental Control Software Works

Ok so my parents are like wayyy over protective, I'm 14 and I have a myspace. I only add people I know and I'm not stupid and just add people I have no idea who they are and tell them where I live so I can get raped. Yeah so I do fine on there, but my mom still thinks its "BAD", but I still went on(: hahaha. And so she discoved this "PARENTAL CONTROLS" thing and she has it blocked to where I cant DOWNLOAD or even go on MYSPACE (plus tons of others) and its really gay cause it blocks things that arnt even bad! so then I discoverd KTUNNEL.COM it lets you get on whatever site you want. Just type it in and its that easy! I tried it at SCHOOL and it worked like a charm ;)

P.S.

Every letter of the alphabet is a site.

Example:

Atunnel.Com

Btunnel.Com

Ctunnel.Com

Dtunnel.Com

Etunnel.Com

Ftunnel.Com

And so on...

So if one gets blocked you can always use the next one(:

-reply by smartperson

Parental controls is easy to hackHow Parental Control Software Works

I have been working with html, batch, and C++ since I was 13

all you have to do is open command prompt, then type,

sc query

Scroll up and down till you find parental controls, once you have found it, write down the system name for it(sc query will tell that), then type this

sc stop (system name for parental controls here)

and wow, it is stoped

to cover your tracks, just go back and type

sc start (System name for parental controls here)

when your done 

-reply by Andreath

Time RestrictionsHow Parental Control Software Works

This is how to hack into the time restrictions in att parental controls- and probably any other ones. I've been studying computer programming lately and my mom has been afraid I'd find a way around these annoying time restrictions. Well, now I have! First you need to block the page that the sites redirect to at night. You do that by going to "Tools" and then "Internet Options". Go to the "Content" Bar and then you should see the "Content Advisor" there. Turn it on. Next, copy/paste the URL that it forces redirection to and block it. Then, enter the website(s) you want to go and set it to "Never Block". This can take a while, so I'll try to research more ways to hack it without dropping it.-reply by Gardenia