xisto Community
circlemodeling

Can You Give Me Advice On Scripting Languages?

i want to learn about basic of writing and using php,cgi,pl filecan you give me some website that easily teach that kind of stuff for me?
i just want to build up formmail process

Everyone will have their favorite. Here is a good starting point, The Ruby script language with the Rails framework.

Ruby is a good language to learn because it has a good structure and clean syntax--- it will teach you good habits for learning other languages and tools. I highly recommend Pragmatic Ruby as a good beginning book.

For PHP and not having to pay any money for a book there is an online book called Practical PHP Programming I have it as a favorite and a bookmark and if there is ever a section I am unsure about when coding I just go there and look throught the table of contents and find the section that I am interested in.

It covers all aspects and in pretty good detail yet is easy to understand with some good examples. I answer question a lot on PHP Builder and one of the people who used to come there frequently kind of almost stopped since they started reading and using this online book. The neat part is that you don't get coffee stains or torn pages or a falling apart book like mine that is 4 years old and being held together with masking tape, but is still a valuable reference, but this book is up to date and cover PHP5 and its implementation of objects, and is getting closer to stuff like java.

It is definately worth looking at. I use it quite a bit in addition to the PHP Manual which is HERE. PHP is free works on many servers nowadays and is fast overtaking Perl and has many of the PECL function that Perl has, and it is easier and has plenty of support. Try it out and see for yourself why this is.

I personally have been using PHP for a few months now. I like programming in it, and I found it to be confusing at first. Once you harness the ability to understand basic functions within php, and learn to USE resources, it's not so bad. If I'm unsure on something I go to php.net and search and read through some of the comments and descriptions of functions etc.I find it to be a very valuable resource. As far as learning find a nice book like as mentioned above, or read some primers on sites such as http://www.htmlgoodies.com/. You'll find plenty of tutorials to help you start learning, but to actually attempting to make something with php is what teaches you the most. Remember that you can jump in and out of php very easily, which is very useful and very flexible.