xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Box Box Box

They Might Be Giants My Review :)

They Might Be Giants are one of the few alternative rock bands that truly fall into the category of "alternative." While they hit their commercial peak in the late 80s and early 90s, that does not mean that they stopped making good music, and this album is proof.As with every other TMBG album, very many styles are used in this album including the usual straight up rock, acoustic rock, jazz, surf/rockabilly, techno, hip hop, (thats right, hip hop), as well as many songs that cannot even be classified yet (download "I've Got a Fang" and tell me what genre this would be considered). The difference between this and Flood or S/T however, is that it is more modern sounding (if you couldnt tell by the techno or hip hop previously mentioned) and there is less of a variety in the instruments. However, the most disappointing part is that they only use their trademark accordion in 1 or 2 songs. This doesnt mean that theyve completely strayed from their overall quirkyness or creativeness, just changed it up a bit. How many bands dont change even a little after about 7 or 8 years of music?The lyrics are very smart and very clever. Many times they use metaphors or unusual situations, such as using a guy falling in love with a girl because he likes her haircut as an example for people with their values mixed up. The lyrics can also get confusing, such as songs written about hats that hover above the ground or about people who think they are Edith Head, or some other cultural figure we know nothing about.In spite of the slight changes, this is still a great overall album and while this might not be the best place to start your TMBG collection (i would recommend Flood, or any of their other 80s/early 90s albums) all fans should like this album, for it is still a great album.Pros:-Smart lyrics-Musical varietyCons:-Not as varied as previous albumsMy favorites (in order):-Yeh Yeh-Cyclops Rock-She Thinks Shes Edith Head-Drink!-Another First Kissoverall: 3.5/5

Nice review. I'm not a huge fan of the music but I am certainly a fan. My 3 favorite songs are "Another First Kiss", "Birdhouse In Your Soul", and "Waiting On An Angel". I find the songs so catchy that I will be singing them in my head for days at a time. Good job on the review!

I love They Might Be Giants. Actually my husband got me into them, but I love that they don't take themselves to seriously and I love that they aren't to good for their fans. I'm sure they are totally sick of "Istambul" but they still play it at every concert because they know what their fans want to hear. Seems like many artists these days will refuse to play certain songs because they're tired of them. I think musicians need to keep in mind who pays their bills.I also love that They Might Be Giants are kid friendly. They have tons of kids music. They've embraced what their good at even if it isn't the most "hip" thing. I love that my kids love them. :DMichelle Z.