xisto Community
HungryHungryHippo

What Should I Get New: Mac Or Windows?

First things first:I apologize if this is in the wrong area. Now my computer is starting to show the symptoms my sister's computer had before it crashed. So as a pre-emptive knowledge before it happens I was wondering...When I replace my present computer should I get a Mac or a Windows? I've heard some pretty nice things about new Macs from people who have sworn their loyalty to the Mac years ago and people who have just recently converted. The conversion of the people from Penny-Arcade also has me thinking if these could be a worthwhile investment. I also want to know if there is still the crap about games being invalid for Macs. I want to know if this is still around or not because I'm a huge gamer and before any consideration of buying one I need to know if I need to buy a new copy for games such as HL2, Guild Wars, etc. Last but not least can someone who either uses a Mac or knows how reliable a Mac is? all I have to go on is the tales of their great stability. Do they have alot of power under their belt for being able to run a game with just as good if not better performance for intensive programs and games then what I already have? I also have a strong hatred of Bill Gates fueling my urge to do research when the day for replacing comes... =PThanks for your time.

First things first:

I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

Now my computer is starting to show the symptoms my sister's computer had before it crashed. So as a pre-emptive knowledge before it happens I was wondering...When I replace my present computer should I get a Mac or a Windows?

I've heard some pretty nice things about new Macs from people who have sworn their loyalty to the Mac years ago and people who have just recently converted. The conversion of the people from Penny-Arcade also has me thinking if these could be a worthwhile investment.

I also want to know if there is still the crap about games being invalid for Macs. I want to know if this is still around or not because I'm a huge gamer and before any consideration of buying one I need to know if I need to buy a new copy for games such as HL2, Guild Wars, etc.

Last but not least can someone who either uses a Mac or knows how reliable a Mac is? all I have to go on is the tales of their great stability. Do they have alot of power under their belt for being able to run a game with just as good if not better performance for intensive programs and games then what I already have?

I also have a strong hatred of Bill Gates fueling my urge to do research when the day for replacing comes... =P

Thanks for your time.

Well, honestly, the choice just got easier. Get a Mac, and if you really don't like it, run Windows on it using Boot Camp (or send it to me, I need a new one ;-)). There are several reviews out saying that the new Macs are among the fastest Windows machines out there.

Myself, I am a Mac and UNIX fan, with Windows being dead last, especially after our ISP just disconnected our account because my wife's Windows 2000 box got a virus. We took the Windows box off the network and put it back on as a Linux (RedHat Fedora 5) box. My wife is now a happy Linux user.

With the Macintosh machines you have the most choice, considering you can run OS X, Windows, Linux, or BSD on the same machine. I think that once you use OS X though, you won't look back.

I'm not so sure whether Macintosh allows you to play all the games, since I don't own one. However, I know that there are a few restrictions on what programs you can install on a macintosh since a lot of programs are primarily designed for Windows -- be aware of that. For an ordinary user who wants ot play games, there is no reason why Windows wouldn't be ok for you. Windows work fine for me and many other users out there. Macintosh was, imho, made for developers or graphics designers for various reasons which I don't want to go in to. I like macintosh's cool graphical user interface, and their slick screen, processor and mice designs. However, Windows is doing great for me so far, and after being a Windows user since I was little, I really don't have much to complain about...even if they do have their flaws.

I've never tlaked to someone who hasn't liked OSX haha. Personally I haven't used it, but it is no longer only for graphics designers. Frankly when I finally get around to buying a laptop, there is a good chance it'll be a mac. Luckily now they have the intel processors so eventually I'll be able to have one tri-booting windows/macosx/linux haha, but regardless OSX has windows beat in most arenas now.The only concern IS the gaming for you, and I can't really comment on that as I dont know.

the game situation seams to vary. half life 2 is a windows game as is i think guild wars. but world of warcraft is osx/windows. so it seams to just depend on the game developers. if you really have to play games then you probably should get a pc at least this time round. however as pointed out you could buy one of the new x86 macs and then run windows on it for games. but there are some technical issues about this, something to do with apple not wanting people to do this and building stuff into the hardware but someone else will have to give the full details on that.although i am definatly buying a mac for my next computer and as soon as possible!

If you have money, don't question your self, and buy a mac. You will not regret it, and to be truthfull, you will enjoy it. If you don't have enought money for apple, then go with pc. I prefer custom built PC's but if you don't have enough expirience with custom built PC's, the best choice would be to buy prebuilt combination, or maybe a brand name computer as HP-compaq, IBM or such...Anyway, to sum it up and show as nice chart:-> +++money -> go with apple-> ++money -> custom built (brand name)-> +money -> custom built (custom parts)I hope this was helpfull :lol:

I always tell people to get a Mac over a "regular" PC since Macs are just great, they're also very durable. Some can even be used as fish tanks :lol:Anyways, on the operating system side, Mac is like a bridge from easy to use and power of UNIX.It's the best of both worlds.xboxrulz

If I was you, I would wait it out with anything you can get a hold of until Windows Vista comes out.

Windows Vista has many new features, such as an updated graphical user interface dubbed Aero, improved searching technology, a number of new security features, and completely redesigned networking, audio, print and display sub-systems. Vista also aims to increase the level of communication between machines on a home network using peer-to-peer technology, making it easy to share files, password settings, and digital media between computers and devices. For developers, Vista also has an entirely new development API, called WinFX, based on the .NET framework, which aims to make it significantly easier for developers to write high-quality applications than with WinFX's predecessor, Win32. The Enterprise edition of Vista is expected to include Microsoft's Virtual PC technology, so that line-of-business applications that are incompatible with Vista can still be used in a fashion similar to how Mac OS X's "Classic" mode supported older Macintosh applications.

Check it out, I can't wait until it's out.