xisto Community
fcfosters

Messenger vs. Google Talk What do you use?

I've gradually begun to shift to GoogleTalk - it's way more lighweight and does exactly what it's supposed to - i.e. Text & Voice Chat. Moreover it's got a tremendous advantage over MSN in terms of Chat Logs, which get stored directly to your gmail account. This is an indispensible feature. GTalk has yet to mature a lot - but I can clearly see its potential.I'm actively trying to encourage all my friends to start using it - so I can get rid of MSN for once and all.

Thats odd, msn is has 90% of people using it? I would think AIM would be the one that has 90% because I believe it gots more marketing. I mean 10% of my friends actually use MSN to chat, the rest use AIM. I personally use MSN for emal purposes because it is directly linked to my email and it notifies me when I get emails, while leaving the chating buisness to AIM. I got more buddies on AIM than I have on MSN, by a 8 to 1 ratio.And google talk? I always wanted to know what that was like but I dont really have any friends with gmail that would give me a chance to check that feature.

It depends where you are. Apparently in the USA almost everyone uses AIM as their primary chat program, but then in Canada/England (I think) msn is the most popular by far. Other countries often have their preferred as well. Which really makes sense if you think about it, we use what our friends use or else we wouldn't care to chat all that much. I know thats why I switched over to msn from ICQ all those years ago :lol:I agree on gtalk though, I really like it but barely anyone I know actually uses it. I really like the software but I rarely think to even boot it up again if I shut it off since I have such a tiny list of people on there. I haaaaate msn, and dislike yahoo and aim haha, but the only ones I actually know people that use alot are msn and yahoo. Eventually gtalk will hopefully become viable for me to use :S Oh and I love the whole chat log -> gmail thing too. I always catch myself thinking "crap what was the addy so-in-so gave me last night?" when I'm out and about, but now I could check form anywhere..............................if anyone talked to me on gtalk..................................haha.

no one in england uses AIM. i dont even really know what it is!i guess that gtalk is better than msn. but these things arn't about quality its all about being the first ones and market share etc. especially as you need gmail to get gtalk therefor most people i talk to on msn can be bothered to sign up for a new account and then do all that stuff. and im not going to use a serive that non of the people i want to talk to use.

I've gradually begun to shift to GoogleTalk - it's way more lighweight and does exactly what it's supposed to - i.e. Text & Voice Chat.

Moreover it's got a tremendous advantage over MSN in terms of Chat Logs, which get stored directly to your gmail account. This is an indispensible feature.

GTalk has yet to mature a lot - but I can clearly see its potential.

I'm actively trying to encourage all my friends to start using it - so I can get rid of MSN for once and all.

I agree completely with that, it's so light, do what it supposed to do and the best is to save the chats directly to the gmail account "just when you are agree with that, you can adjust it not to save at all" , and this feature is so good as it is so far better than msn which saves the chat to the computer so if u use a public computer you will get your hardest time getting people know what you were talking about, with whom you were talking and so on.

I did the step completely now as all my friends liked it, i uninstalled msn for ever finally from my machine, it's really hard to have a microsoft product running on your machine, for now on my windows i just has windows and windows mediaplayer as a second choice, on my linux it's 100% microsoft free :lol:

P.S : i think it would be better if you added a poll in this post.

I wonder why no one mentioned Yahoo!. Maybe 'cause its less popular. Lemme do the calculations.90% --> MSN5% ---> AIM4% ---> GTalk1% ---> Rest0.??% ---> Yahoo!That below unity percent is a huge community, from what I have seen in the past year or so. In that respect, I can't comprehend how many accounts MSN has. Or is it that 90% of the people have MSN while quite a few of them utilize multiple Messengers?

Of course there is a high percentage of people that use a more than one IM system.. I know a lot of people that use AIM, Yahoo and MSN at the same time, like me.. and i don't think AIM is more popular than Yahoo.. Most people outside US don't even know that AIM exists but they know about Yahoo.. so i would kinda say 5% for both and not 5% for just AIM or just Yahoo.. Tho i agree both of them are more popular than google talk.. and yeh msn is more popular.. as an example here is my buddy number for each IM system I use:MSN- 170 buddiesYahoo- 10 buddiesAIM - 2 buddies

Edited by Dj_honorio (see edit history)

I think Google talk does a better job at chatting then msn can ever hope to do. Msn concentrates on the flashy emoticons, winks, etc while not concentrating on the functionality of the program. Me and my friends have had more problems with msn messenger then any other instant messaging program. Over the two I prefer Google talk but I prefer AIM over everything.Oh and as a Canadian with Canadian friends I think it's 50:50 on msn or aim. I know people who hate one but love the other.

Is it true that about 90% of people uses msn messenger?Google has made also quite new talk program, what do you think of that?

hi, only to say that i have begun to use GTalk a few days ago, and my first impression is that google do a great job just like with the other tools and services they offer, its very focussed in the functionallity it offers, its simple and easy to use, but msn is used by 90% of the marketplace, so i will continue to use it because allmost all my contacts use it.

best regards,

my first impression is that google do a great

So, it's simple.If you start-up from zero, you use goggletalk.
If you already have some contacts, you start with MSN or Yahoo or whatever your contact is already using.

So, it's simple.

If you start-up from zero, you use goggletalk.

If you already have some contacts, you start with MSN or Yahoo or whatever your contact is already using.

Excuse me yordan, but who can resist to switch to gtalk specially after these new features they just made available today?, the new features are:

1- Pictures

2- Themes

you can revie it here:-

https://www.google.com/hangouts/

Is it true that about 90% of people uses msn messenger?Google has made also quite new talk program, what do you think of that?

I'm not sure about the 90% bit fcfosters, but I can tell you that the vast majority of the people who chat use MSN Messenger over other instant messengers such as Yahoo! and AOL. I suppose you could say that the new Google Talk is a kind of messenger in the sense that you still talk to your friends over an internet connection but it's very different in the way that it uses your e-mail address to store your chats and to automatically sign you in to the talk when you sign in to your e-mail. As for me, I've used MSN Messenger every time I need to talk to my friends but I'm finding Google Talk very convienient as well.

This is because, unlike MSN Messenger, Google Talk stores you chats automatically in a very organised folder so that I can go back multiple times and view them. Also, MSN Messenger has been blocked in my school but MSN Web Messenger still works. I hate using that, and I've found that using Google Talk is a great way making up for that loss. Also, I hate having to install MSN Messenger to my computer, it's such a long process. But with Google Talk - no installation; it doesn't even pop up when you log into your e-mail; you just choose whether or not you want to talk and you can still view your mail while you talk.

I'm actively trying to encourage all my friends to start using it - so I can get rid of MSN for once and all.

Same with me miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG. I've also began to move towards the growing features of Google Talk and I'm strongly encouraging my friends to do so. I think MSN Messenger is losing it's touch in the way that it's much too common now. Something fresh like Google Talk is a great new thing that I'm sure people will start to like as they get used to it. I too am trying to avoid using MSN Messenger as well because I'm finding it a bit too adictive.

no one in england uses AIM. i dont even really know what it is!

Agree with you on this one organicbmx. I don't actually know anyone in England who uses AIM - most of the people in my school use MSN Messenger. But like I said earlier, I'm trying to move away from MSN Messenger and start to use Google Talk more often because of it's vast and useful features.