xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
balend

Jitterbug MVNO Targets Seniors

GreatCall Inc. today launched a new MVNO service called Jitterbug targeted at older users. The service will launch with a special phone designed in cooperation with Samsung. The Samsung A120 features a simple design and UI, oversize buttons and graphics, and a cushioned cup around the earpiece to improve sound quality in noisy environments. To make the experience easier for users transitioning from landlines, the phone even makes a dial tone sound when opened. The phone also features one-touch access to an operator. Plans are expected to start as low as $10 per month, with $25/month being an average plan. The company expects to start trials this summer, with commercial launch after Labor Day. The MVNO is the latest of many to use the Sprint network, although Sprint executives today revealed plans to slow the introduction of new MVNOs on their network.

The Samsung A120 features a simple design and UI, oversize buttons and graphics, and a cushioned cup around the earpiece to improve sound quality in noisy environments. To make the experience easier for users transitioning from landlines, the phone even makes a dial tone sound when opened. The phone also features one-touch access to an operator.

I can see how older users will benefit from these features, but younger people - even mid-20s types like me - can make use of a lot of the things that this new phone will offer.

The cushioned ear piece, for example, would be great. If I had this design on my phone, I wouldn't spend nearly as much time adjusting the volume to accommodate the various background-noise levels.