xisto Community
XIII

Where To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

I'm searching 2 days ago trying to find notepad++ for linux but i couldn't find it yet, does anyone know or have this great software?, ofcourse i have it on windows, but i don't use windows so much time, most times i'm on linux so i need it to be run on linux.

P.S: i don't use WINE so please don't recommend it :lol:

If you have been sreaching for 2 days and can't find it, I would assume it doesn't exist in a linux compatible version. Even though you said not to, I'd suggest just using wine :lol: Obviouly you'd really like to use this software if you've looked for 2 days, so instead of searching for another day just spend a few minutes figuring out wine and voila. The software looks fairly striaghtforward on their site so I assume it would be emulated without any problems.

or try to port it yourself, their using MingW, which is gcc on Windows, so I guess you can easily port it.

To build this package:

* For generating the executable file (notepad++.exe), you can use VC++ 7 or MinGW 3.0 / 2.X (a makefile is available)

* For generating the dll files (SciLexer.dll) , you have to use MinGW 3.0 / 2.X

All the binaries will be built in the directory notepad++\PowerEditor\bin

Note that the executable file npp.exe built by MinGW 3.0, for the reason of

the runtime lib static-link, has almost 160KB more than the one built by VC++ 7.

There's no remedy for the moment. If you can reduce the exe size by adding/changing

the compiler flag or linker flag, please let me know.

Download Notepad++ source files

-- https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Why don't you use WINE, it won't kill u....

xboxrulz

What's so great about notepad++ that it replaces all the other editors available for Linux?Remember I have not used notepad++ but am just looking into it, especially the porting side of things, that's something I enjoy doing.Also noticed from it's website that it used part of Scintilla, how does ScinTE differ to Notepad++ since that would be interesting to know. Could turn out that writing a new editor using Scintilla might be more effective than porting Notepad++?Cheers,MC

You know, I am going to scream. WHY ON EARTH USE KATE FOR coding... How about VIm - you can install it with gui for gnome or kde... Glimmer (which is the proggie I started my first website with).. Or if you prefer a more all around - code completion etc - try Bluefish. If you dont like downloading extra stuff... Open a terminal, type vi <filename.extension> and there you go :D (without the < >) Be advised in Vi, you need to hit the Ins key to type, and Esc to leave the typing mode. To exit the file and save.. hit Esc then type ":wq!" : is to execute a command, w for write, q for quit and ! to force it so it's not fussing.

Just been looking at the screenshots for Notepad++ and there's really nothing impressive seen from the screenshots, so I take it, it must be the features it has?I would say Quanta Plus and Bluefish would probably be editors that come close to Notepad++, so there maybe no need to actually port Notepad++ over to Linux.I agree that KATE is not really a good code editor, but it is a simple text editor that has some syntax features that would make it acceptable, same would go for the Gnome Editor (gedit).Cheers,MC

Just been looking at the screenshots for Notepad++ and there's really nothing impressive seen from the screenshots, so I take it, it must be the features it has?
I would say Quanta Plus and Bluefish would probably be editors that come close to Notepad++, so there maybe no need to actually port Notepad++ over to Linux.

I agree that KATE is not really a good code editor, but it is a simple text editor that has some syntax features that would make it acceptable, same would go for the Gnome Editor (gedit).

Cheers,
MC

I use JEdit mostly, just because I can use it on Mac, Windows, and Linux. It is written in Java, has some platform specific extensions to fit into the native environment a little better, is a good editor out of the box, and has a great extension system with many plugins available. I even use it for general word processing (but then, I am an XML/LaTeX junkie).

There really is no shortage of editors for Linux in general and there even quite a few which run on a good handful of platforms so you do not need more than one program when you switch machines.
Edited by evought (see edit history)

I use notepad++. I think's it's great. If there was a linux version I would prob install it and run it on linux as well. Perhaps there will be a version one day, but for now maybe I'll check into some of these other text editors that you speak of.As far as notepad++ goes, I'm just use to it. I like it's simplicity, and flexibility. Syntax highlighting is good. Overrall I could switch but I fear change.

I just took a look at Bluefish and I really liked the look of it. It seems to have most of the features Notepad++ has, and more. I'm currently migrating over to Linux myself, but it's not a full migration since there are some needed apps that unfortunately run only on Windows. Yeah, I know I can dual boot and run an emulator like Wine, etc., but I'd much prefer having a fully Linux system. =^^=

Thanks to all who recommended Bluefish. That's one app off my checklist. =^^=

Seriously I would have never thought I would see thread like this: trying to find a Linux version of a Windows editor. Oh dear...I think the reason why projects such as Notepad++ and other exitst is because Windows completely lacks a good built-in text editor which, if you think about it, is quite a weird thing... A text editor is an utility that you expect to find on any human usable computer.Seriously people learn to use Vi(m). At least the basics. You might find yourself in sitation where its the only alternative.