xisto Community
Grafitti

Premiere Problems: Linear Or Non-Linear? linear or non-linear? and more.

I've tried all versions of premiere, now i have version 2.0 and it's a great improvement over the 1.5, but still i don't seem to be able to get real-time previewing in the little window. sometimes it works, especially when i use DV files and a minimum of transititons and effects, but otherwise it uses freeze-frame technology, or so it seems. only way around it is for me to render the full thing, but i'd like to know what the difference is between linear video editing and non-linear editing, and whether that has anything to do with my problem. or from someone who's tried premiere, is there a comparable program that WILL do real-time?I just want to be able to compile the layers of footage, throw in the transitions and a few special effects, and be able to instantly preview what i've created. as it is, i have to sit there after i do a 5 minute clip and wait for another 5 or 10 minutes before it's all rendered. then that works for as long as i leave it alone, but if i then want to change something - say i put the contrast down another notch or two, voila! I've got to render the thing from scratch. it's highly unproductive, to say the least.

premier is non-linear. that means you can have as many video and audio tracks as you like.linear is one track of video, like moviemaker.on the other point i dont think there is any real time preview. if you want to see effects like transparency, transition, etc you have to render. only think to help would be buy more kit for your computer.hope that helps

Ok. that was simple. I never got what the difference was. But here's the thing: if I'm running a 128MB PCI-e graphics card, and a 3.0Ghz processor, with a gig of ram, is there going to be any realistic improvment if i upgrade. of course i know my pieces aren't the latest on the market, but would the big cost in buying the latest pieces be justified in rendering capability?

that is pretty similar to me. i just have another half a gig of ram. graphics card doesnt really matter, just for viewing purposes. it couldnt hurt to put another stick of ram in and that would make a difference. but unless you want to become a professional editor i wouldnt bother with a new computer just yet.