xisto Community
kc8ual

I Want To Create A PHP Text Based Web Game

I am new to programming and although HTML and it's similar forms I already know, I would like to learn PHP but I have no clue where to start.I have been playing this game online for over a year now, and I have yet to find anything similar, so I want to take a jab at creating it. The game is Kings of Chaos and in my mind it just rocks, but when you only get 1 turn every 30 minutes the time between turns i get bored and have tried several other game that are similar but they in no way caompare, if anything they look like hacked up copies of KoC and with lots of bugs too.I would like to try to make my own game similar in the general format but my own style and ideas and and well in no way shape or form similar to the game other than the way in which you interact with it. I know this sounds confusing but I am hopeing that someone can understand what I am trying to say and maybe point me into the right direction to start my quest.Thanks in advaced,Nick

Seeing as your interest in making a huge interactive text game, i believe starting out with PhP/MYsql combination would set you on the right track the fastest. Let's see, to get the hang of PhP i erally recommend this tutorial.

It gives a prime look at PhP and it has a section on MySQL as well. Starting out with that, i believe you might just get to programming a text-based web game.

Good luck with your programming.

(i will also be able to help out with some stuff if you ask me)

The things that will be hard, is how to test the things without a remote host... I recommend you get Bizzar server if you are running windows 2K/XP as it is great, and runs Apache/PhP/mysql and comes with the PhPMyAdmin tool.

I would like to try to make my own game similar in the general format but my own style and ideas and and well in no way shape or form similar to the game other than the way in which you interact with it. I know this sounds confusing but I am hopeing that someone can understand what I am trying to say and maybe point me into the right direction to start my quest.

Well, first of all, you can go to where frenz pointed and learn PHP/MySQL. From what you said, it seems like you have a general idea of how you want the game to be and all that, but it is always good to put it in writing and have a design document. That way, may be more than one can work on it and it would result in a game with richer experience.

If you are interested, I would be happy to put in some of my thoughts, if you already have a game design in your mind.

Juat use phpbb with ADR. https://www.phpbb.com/ and http://www.adr-support.com/ is the way to go. You don't really need to know much about php or sql but it helps. It's quite easy, really. The installation is the hardest part but that's just getting the hang of things. PHPBB is for sure the best route though, no matter what type of rpg you want.

I used to play Kings of Chaos, but only for a few months then it became too repetitive. ADR is useless for Kings of Chaos I presume. Just learn PHP and start experimenting and you should be able to make the game in a few months.

FUN Text Based RPG!

I Want To Create A PHP Text Based Web Game

If you like roll playing games, I have enjoyed playing Awakened Lands. Many ins and outs to the game, and it is always changing, as opposed to 'resets'.

The community is great. Check it out. (or not) ;)

Awakenedlands.Com

-reply by AL Addicted

more advanced phpI Want To Create A PHP Text Based Web Game

I would also like to leanr more about this to have a go at something simply like Dragons Kingdom - I do know some PHP programming, but I just keep coming across the same old basic stuff like the one linked to in the old post by frenz. Does anyone know where I might some more advanced PHP tutorial, even better if they're aimed and making games?

-reply by Claudia

hey guys, do you know facebook or have you heard about mafia wars? it's a text based online game in facebook. we have proposed a game similar to it for out thesis project and we have very little idea on how to create it. Our proposal is a more educational version of the mafia wars. Please help.. thanks.. :(

Sports Text based app for facebook I Want To Create A PHP Text Based Web Game

/premierfootball/?_fb_noscript=1 here is the game I want it like but I have no idea how to make one could someone help please??

PHP text based web game...I'm not sure about Kings of Chaos; that's the first time I've heard of that one, but look up Tribal Wars (tribalwars.net) for another alternative suggestion to this. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a game where you and other players join and fight each other. I would also say that a MMORPGs (multi-player games) are much more difficult to create.I would have to rate myself with you, kc8ual, that I am just beginning on PHP (although it comes very easy for me since it's nearly a mix between HTML and JavaScript). It also helps when you can understand SQL and programming logic as well...good luck with that endeavor. I have faith you could do it, but I think in the end you will find this a big more daunting of a task to create on your own than you expected it to be.

The reason I started learning php and mysql was to also create my own text game, but I have to warn you it took a good few weeks of study before I was able to take on such a large project. The best starting point is an online tutorial called PHP 101 (https://devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/) It's probably the best tutorial I've ever come across. Also before rushing off and getting a web hosting account it would probably be best just to setup Apache, PHP and MySQL on your own computer first, makes it easier to test your scripts. I'm in the middle of making my own text-based MMORPG at the minute, but believe me, it's a MASSIVE project. I really should get some help in but I'm stubborn like that lol Good luck!

He only has 1 post and he already got 23 replies....wow...
i think that you should start creating your game,and learn in the mean time...

i did first web page only with

<phpprint 'Welcome';?>

and than i downloaded some game scripts which i rewrote...
after that game was running fine until i had no time running it...
i stopped,and now i have nothing except my scripts....my sql database is gone... i contacted my host,but they don't have backups back to 2007/08 when i hosted there...now i am looking at scripts and trying to rewrite my database...;)
you should always backup scripts AND databases ;)

Thanks...Eggie

He only has 1 post and he already got 23 replies....wow...

He will probably get 23 replies someday. However, today, he only has 12 replies, my own one being not a real reply.

He will probably get 23 replies someday. However, today, he only has 12 replies, my own one being not a real reply.

yeah,sorry i misread...

it is nice that people here are willing to help,afterall they are getting MyCents for it,so who wouldn't,i think that there are many people who don't know that this kind of getting "money" is around...why don't we get more people here ;)

Thanks...Eggie