xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
balend

Panasonic To Launch Its First Blu-ray In September

Panasonic will launch its first Blu-ray disc player in September, the company said Tuesday. The release of the DMP-BD10 would come in conjunction with its first 1080p plasma displays and a new high-definition receiver. The company expects the player to retail for less than $1,500 USD, but pricing has not been finalized.

"With the DMP-BD10, Panasonic proves its commitment to providing the best high definition entertainment experience for the home," Panasonic merchandising vice president Reid Sullivan said in a statement. "Our goal is to focus on the total solution for an uncompromised high definition experience."

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

Uhh.. one thing. The topic name is WAY too long.. It's stretching the table on the board view. Plus you are talking about two different things here. The topic says fujutsu and you are talking about panasonic..Otherwise, I personally wouldn't go for blu-ray unless I absolutley need one. Way too expensive

Naturally the capasity increases as it uses blue laser instead of regular red laser(lower wavelength). does it have multilayers capability too?

So that would be the reason for the name "Blu- Ray"
As far as the technology goes, will the first dvd
Isn't HD-DVD to be released later the month (April), Toshiba i believe.
I think it already has been released in Japan, and It lingers around
920 US Dollars. Which is alot more than i thought it was to be, hopefully it will be lower when it reaches the states. It also comes with three HD-DVD movies, one that i know of is Resident Evil.

Also correct me if i am wrong but sony's comes out in October?

-CoLD

Bah! I'm just looking forward for the industry to get their act together and just pick a standard. I personally would rather have HD-DVD since it is inherently backward compatible with existing technologies. But, speaking from a corporate view, I can definitely see why Sony and others would rather push a 'more' secure format. Of course one can always say that security is relative (with respect to time). As far as I'm concerned, I won't jump on the bandwagons this round. I'll choose 2nd or 3rd generation machines; when the industry has straightened out... and DUH when there are good movies that are filmed in HD format. I'm actually more looking forward to the time when the FCC acts like a real governing body and forces all the networks and such to bite the bullet and start broadcasting 100% HD. I love the fact that every one I know has an HD set, and only 20% of them actually get a few channels (all 10 or so of them), and YET all of them brag to me about how great the picture looks haha. BTW, I do have an HD TV... hehe.

Edited by illini319 (see edit history)

WAT THE HELL IS A BLU RAY!???

Clear explanation... if possible please???

Peace Out!

Just google it.

Oh look, here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

Posted Image

The consumers who join the first generation bandwagon are doomed to lose. Definitely advisable to wait, and only get it if you can really use it (as in, you own a HD TV and want to own HD DVD/Blu-ray movies).

Personally I'm leaning towards HD DVD because of the backwards compatibility, and clear name. Sony's scheme to screw the consumers by forcing them to empty their pockets for an extra chance of blu-ray becoming standard sickens me.

I can see only one advantage for Blu-Ray -- reducing the need for multiple DVDs in a box set. For example you could put 5 Alfred Hitchcock films on the same bluray disk. People only move to another player if they can see some sort of distinct advantage and that wouldn't be it. Another factor is cost, OK so the HDDVD is out at $930, but you can buy a basic player for ordinary dvds for under $50, then you have the video library, each bluray is going for abotu $30 as opposed to $20 for anew movie and $10-$15 for an older movie.One day manufacturers will cotton on to the fact that nobody wants to keep upgrading the video collection.