xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
balend

Fujitsu Unveils 200GB Notebook Drive

Fujitsu on Monday said it would deliver in May the world's largest notebook hard drive, capable of storing 200GB of data without utilizing perpendicular recording technology. However, the three-platter enclosure is larger and heavier than standard portable drives.

The Fujitsu MHV2200BT features a Serial ATA-150 interface, 8MB buffer and speed of 4200RPM -- slower than 7200RPM notebook drives currently on the market. The new drive is designed for high-performance portable and home media devices, where size is less of a concern. Fujitsu did not offer pricing details for the MHV2200BT.

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

Data storage, for me, isn't the primary reason I'd buy a laptop. If I really wanted something that could store tons of information, I'd buy a desktop with some heavy duty hard drives. I'm wondering if this new HD of Fujitsu's will burn my lap... I'm wondering if this new HD will prevent me from hearing anything other than the computer either because of the hard drive itself or all the cooling the notebook has to do. When will laptops be um... lap tops again? I hate to say it... but Macs (at least for this feature) have it over PCs...

You can buy pc notebook/laptops that are the same size/ portability as macs, you just can't get any stuff designed for desktop replacements, but back to the topic...I think this could be good if they actually implement it well. As mentioned if it's super loud or heavy or hot, it simply wouldn't be viable in a portability based notebook. However, if it's actually decent on those points, it could be nice. I wouldn't mind having a notebook with enough storage to hold a handful of movies for long trips so I wouldn't need to bring disks along all the time. I wouldn't use it for my primary storage solutions either, but it could be nice.Then again I'm more interested in the ~40gig flash drives whatever company made to try and replace notebook HD's with. Super fast/quiet/energy efficient/etc. Regardless, it's always cool seeing companies innovating and pushing our technologies furthur.