xisto Community
WeaponX

Getting My First iPod

I'm starting to give in and go with an iPod also after all these years...I just have some questions before I consider buying one.

1. I want to get the iPod that supports video also, but not exactly sure which ones have it. On the Apple site (here), it seems like the only one that has video is the 60GB version. Is that correct? Does the 30GB one feature video playback also? Then I looked in the Recertified section and took a look at that 60GB and no where in the Learn More section does it mention anything about video. So how does one tell if I want to get one of the recertified ones?

2. OK, I read all this about the AAC format, but now, it seems we can store MP3 files in the iPod and play them right? I have many songs ripped from CDs and don't want to go through the hassle of figuring out a way to do this in AAC (if that's even possible).

First time getting this, so hopefully it will be a great experience. Let's see what the hype is all about :lol:

Thanks.

Nice choice dude :lol: .. i am still collecting up to get a nano ipod .. hehe .. well If u want an ipod that supports video, then i suggest u go to a store and get ur hands on the ipod box, read whats written on it carefully and then go for it, IMHO i think apple has come out with 30, 60 GB video ipods ..For the AAC part, actually when u transfer music to an ipod, u would normally do it through itunes, i duno why this is so, but its kinda annoying when u have to transfer music and u have to use a default program to do it. Anyways, when u queue up ur music in itunes, it directly converts the files in the format required and transferes them to ur ipod. About AAC format, well i use AAC everyday .. on my Nokia :) lol .. Nokia supports playback of the AAC format and it has the least file size .. plus retains the same quality (70%) .. I convert my mp3 to AAC via dBpowerAmp and a codec add-on .. Hope that helped .. :lol:RegardsDhanesh.

OK, just one more question on the AAC format. If I want to keep the MP3 format when I copy from the iPod to my laptop, I would have to burn those AAC files to a CD and then rip it off as MP3 files right?Always had the money to buy an iPod but was being cheap and didn't want to shell out all that dough :lol: Thought it was time for a change...

If they are already MP3 then you can just copy them directly to your new spankin I-POD but if you have acc files and want to convert then just go to download.com look up dBpowerAmp and you can manually converet when on your computer withouth having to waist a CD or computer time

Just one more question. I was looking around and see that they have music videos to download to the iPod. Can I use my own videos/movies on the iPod? Either from DVDs or AVI files?

you should be able to use your own videos for your Ipod. Although I have a nano I have seen video links for Ipod compatible files at websites such as purepwnage. I'm not sure what the filetype is but I'm sure a salesperson at a store would be happy to tell you.