xisto Community
iGuest

How to Disable Print Screen?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for posting this, but I'll give it a shot anyway.I have a problem with copycats. There are a lot of people who steal my and my friends stuff. Well I don't really care myself, but it really bothers some of my friends. They all disalbe right-clicking, however people still can copy their stuff using Print Screen, so I'm just interested, is there any script/code or anything that can disable print screen? Is it possible?Thanks in advance.

You can Google "disable print screen" and come up with examples and discussions like these, but most Internet users will figure out how to get around disabling the "print screen" command.

Here are a few other things you can do to help deter thieves:

1. Watermark or otherwise mark your images using photo-editing software. Even just putting your URL on the photo will help deter thieves - and if they steal anyway, their visitors will notice your URL and might visit your site.

2. Get a blog and set security to "friends only." Use this forum for posting things that you really, really don't want other people to steal.

3. Post copyright notices for text and images. Put one in the HTML "comments" as well as one that users can see on each page of your site.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for posting this, but I'll give it a shot anyway.I have a problem with copycats. There are a lot of people who steal my and my friends stuff. Well I don't really care myself, but it really bothers some of my friends. They all disalbe right-clicking, however people still can copy their stuff using Print Screen, so I'm just interested, is there any script/code or anything that can disable print screen? Is it possible?
Thanks in advance.

you can use html guardian's image guardian feature. infact its the only option as far as i know.

you just need to check the 'Disable Clipboard & Print Screen' box. this will disable the visitor' clipboard...so making a copy of the image becomes impossible.

there are lot of other features u can check out in html guardian...believe me its total guardian.

best of all u can download it for free :o

cheerz!

shiv

what kind of things are being stolen. with all my photographs i just make sure that the image size i use on all web images in nice an small to stop anyone getting a hig-res version of something. it's hard to claim something as yours if you have no master. thats my opinion anyway.if it is a hig res important file make a restricted blog like sarah suggested. the software shiv suggested will be find as long as most people are browsing on i.e. because other browsers will be unafected.

Sarah81

Thank you! However I've already tried it all...and plus people steal not from the blogs but from the artfolio websites.

shiv Thanks, I guess I should try it.

organicbmx People steal ehmm....art? Well they still blends, collages, layouts etc. And usually people put their copyright on them, but still, they are a lot of ways of erasing the copyright and putting your own name on them. So I'm kinda confused, but as I said I really don't care if people steal what I do, cause if you publish smth in the Internet that 100% means that it will be stolen or just taken without your permission.

I could remake all my stuff and resize them, but people will find another many ways of using them, for example for making icons.

Uh, perhaps it's just human nature and all we have to do is just live with it.

i guess that if you made a sig and someone riped it off and claimed it as their own, file size wouldnt matter. sorry i must have been tired, i was thinking in terms of photographs or other digital print media not internet media. i.e. 300 dpi compared to 72 dpi.

Ahh I've been thinking of a script like this for a while so thanks for giving me a reason to find one :lol:

Theoretically it could be possible to preload an image such as a full sceen plain black image and make sure it will fill the screen no matter where the scroll is at and then hide it. Then use javascript to detect the key press event of the print screen key and use this to fire an event to make the black image visible. it all works perfectly in my mind and I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work so long as javascript can hide the image and then show it easilly enough, which I havent tried myself. And it will work no mater what a persons bandwith is because the image is pre-loaded.

Another way it could be done to protect only the images, which is most likely the way I will try it, is to create every image as a rollover image and again use the keydown or keypress event in JS to make the images all rollover when the print screen key is pressed. Then the images would be safe. Anyway the code for detecting a keypress is this:

function doSomething(e){	var code;	if (!e) var e = window.event;	if (e.keyCode) code = e.keyCode;	else if (e.which) code = e.which;	var character = String.fromCharCode(code);	alert('Character was ' + character);}

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

so by adding a small if statement to compare the key pressed and the value of the print screen key you can use this code to fire off another event to rollover the images or something like that. And if you dont like either of those methods you can just adapt that code to detect the print screen key anyway :lol: if it works then let me know!

Ahh I've been thinking of a script like this for a while so thanks for giving me a reason to find one :lol:

guess that if it involves browsers, there are hundreds of ways to deactivate that script anyway and there are image capture tools that have timers.

Just a small tip, better put water mark in you photos/arts.. much more efficient since the time consumed in removing the watermark compare to the gain is way to much high and not practical.

well i used a method to do it... but i dont know how many will be willing to try it.see, simply convert ur jpg images to wmv videos that stream across network. load windows media player on webbrowser to load the media. now printscreen will behave pretty awkward... u can try to print screen a movie playing in media player and see what happens when u paste it else where.u can use Jasc Animation Shop to convert images into various types of videos.and with right click disabled, a better way is to drag and select the image, and press Ctrl+C instead, and the image would then be copied. u cud also press ctrl+A to select all and then ctrl+V in another application, and filter out the image u need.

there is no way that you disable not the print screen but the recording itself... If you give an way to show some artwork to user, via some webrowser, in any way he could record it somehow. Everything you can view - you can record. so, you must deal with it however you can, one of the best ways is to put the watermark, as someone stated earlier...

There are applications that will allow you to create an invisible watermark. It won't be able to be seen unless you run it back through the application to see the watermark. I am not sure though if that rerally helps people from actually stealing them, but it could prove that you made it.

Disable Print Screen

Replying to TwiggyI have a similar problem. I am a "historian" and not a web programmer, although I do have a monstrous site at http://www.indianamilitary.org/, hosted by the US Army.

I am spending many, many hours re-constructing Infantry Division rosters that were all destroyed by the Army following WW2. Too date, it has nealy 30,000 names, each with a good deal of attached data.

Now I find some museums in Europe are capturing my webpages and using them as thought they had done the work. I don't mind them looking up an individual, but not "listing" all 30,000.

Everything is in HTML tables made by Lotus Approach. (DNF).

I'd like some easy understandable method to keep all my work save yet available. That may not be possible, but I have to ask.

Thanks for any help.

-Jim West

how can l control print screen in my webpages

Hi,

Pls Send any solution for this title.How can l control print screen in my webpages.

By

krish k

-reply by krish