xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Initial Impressions

So I finaly, FIIIIIINALLY got my hands on my copy of Oblivion for xbox360. While I obviously couldn't review it as I've spent about 2-3 hours playing only, I felt I would give my initial opinions and open up a topic for anyone else with the game to rave about its awesomeness.In case you missed the subtle hint... the game lives up to the hype so far. From the beginning where the character Patrick stewart voices begins talking and you get to see the game world you are sucked in. The graphics are simply unbeliavble and the game mechanics are great. I'll agree with other sites that say the controls in 3rd person are kind of...broken. They are really loose or something, but sticking to the default first person renders you with a very tightly controlled game.The atmosphere is crazy, the ambient noises and graphical nuances are simply intense. As I said, it sucks you in and it doesn't let go. The customization allowed for building your character is also staggering. Make sure you are going to sit down and play through the whole first section when you start or it'll probably be even more staggering heh.I haven't hit much story yet because as soon as I hit an open area I just ran around for like an hour haha. Killing random creatures, finding little items, staring at the sun and the light as the sun moved in the sky and the gleam off lakes and and and and and....you get the picture.All in all, worth the money ten fold. I got the collectors edition which had a cool replica of the coin in the game, as well as a handbook to explain everything about the game and a dvd with a bunch of 'making of' stuff (haven't looked at that yet). One of the few times it was worth it to get the extra loot.I'll go into more detailed of a review once I get more time to play the game, but so far it's amazing. Feel free to comment, question, or drool.

Yeah, I picked up a collectors edition version for the PC, and I must say it has already consumed a good number of hours from my life already haha. I can't imagine carrying around thousands of these replica coins like they let you do in the game, because this thing isn't light... in between the weight and size of a half dollar and a silver dollar.Graphically, it rocks, though the bloom seemed to lower my FPS so I turned it off, but it's still awesome. The textures of the weapons and clothes are incredible.... downright photorealistic.I've been thieving around, working on side quests and whatnot, but the story so far seems good.One of the gripes people have is that they can't make good looking characters, well that's a lot of blah because all it takes is a good eye, and patience :lol: It took me awhile at first, because they looked too old and wrinkled until I found an age slider, and that cured everything up.