xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nehm4

Optical Illusion... Wow

Hi. I found this somewhere on the net and thought that it was really neat. This is NOT an animation. It is just an optical illusion. It appears as if they are moving. Neat huh?

Posted Image

This thing is messing with my brain. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

-Josh

I always liked this optical illusions, they are really neat. :o There are plenty of things like that, I usually like to watch at them, but not for long of course. Sometimes I think how do they think of such stuff, don't they have anything better to do ? but maybe its good, I once liked one: it was a text and I needed to read it, but it was so unclear, that I couldn't read it, but I moved back to the end of my room ant looked into the monitor, from far away I could see what text it was :P but unfortunately, when knowing the text, I also saw it later when I cam back to my desk. :o

Someone I knew who was studying optometry once explained how alot of them work to me, but I completely forget :P Something to do with how our peripheral vision actually interprets and trasmits data to our brain in comparison to what is being ofcused on by the eye... whether or not that is remembering properly or he was right I can't say for sure haha. Anyone know for sure?Regardless, those are always cool... and i always immediately stare at the middle of one to make sure it's not animated haha :o I love em... although that one made me feel kinda light headed for some reason heh :o

I always hated the term 'optical' illusion. It is not an illusion of 'optics.' As mentioned, nothing here is moving. The patterns are static. They remain static as they are emitted by your computer screen, as they enter your eye and hit your retina. They are static as the signal travels down your optical nerve. In fact... it remains static even as it hits your brain. However, it is our perception of that signal that is off. It is simply an example of a stimulus that our brain clearly has limitations on visually interpreting. Hence it is a perceptual illusion.

These optical illusions, perceptual illusions, as illini calls it, really all they do is mess with your mind and with what Illini said, perception of things. Though I would really want to know what a say...insect with compound eyes see when they look at these optical illusions? I would think these insects would end up being VERY confused.

LOL , WOW what a cool stuff. Why does this happen? ...

Well, if you read the posts above, I think you my find some basic things which explains how it happens. I never really read about it, but I remember we had something/a lot about optics, but some subjects were about eyes on physics, but I didn't really get into it, maybe was talking with my classmate.. Anyway, I read more about it on the net, it is quite basic really, but when you don't know it, it looks cool. By reading more about it, I think I could create those kind of images :o

Well I looked around at a few pages out of curiosity and the one that best showed how right our assumptions were (hehe) was at The Mind's Eye? A look at optical illusions. It doesn't go into too much detail, and basically says its unconfirmed, but gives a quick rundown of what is susposedly going on. It's not too long so worth taking a quick glance at if you are interested... and if anyone else finds a good link about this post it. I'm still curious haha.

I had found a couple on other optical illusions, but I stuck to this link since it was about ones involving motion. Others like where two lines of equal length seem to be two different lengths are cool, but seem to be caused by the same thing (confused visual perception and the lack of a logical reaction to it before we 'see' it) and I thought the ones involving motion were more interesting myself.