xisto Community
RoKeR

1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

BUt you see... It all depends on what these coming years have in store for us...Like I said.. U never know... we may have softwares worth GBs of data.... probably that would easily fill these things up...It's just like the History repeating...When 80 GB hard disks were released... people were dazzled... everyone had the same questions in mind... WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THAT SPACE??and you have the results in front of your eyes now...so just think of the development now and in the future with the same results in mind....*PEACE OUT*

Well, having a lot of space is always good, I only have 80 GB hard disk, but I don't really need more at this time, but as the digital quality of everything is growing, I will be keeping my pictures from my camera in my computer with such a quality jpeg that it would take 5 MB, so imagine 10 000 pictures == 50 000 MB == 50 GB and that is not so much pics.Furthermore, we have DVD movies or etc. now and want to keep them in our HDD's, so if you have 200 movies in DVD, imagine how much they would take up.. and having music files with very good quality is also cool, imagine for 500 000 mp3 files with very good quality, also will take some.. So I think HDD's needs and will be expanding, one thing which only worries me - I don't need ultimate space, I just need that they would be very stable, very very stable and I mean stable.For servers having such big drives, I think they should have more for backups of their files, you know how bad it is when your hard drive breaks, you get nervous or maybe even want to cry. I also am backing up my files to archives and into DVD cd's, very useful. As a matter of fact I always have been doing it, even into 700 MB cdr's and when I watch them sometimes, I find something funny from the past. :o

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

I'd just want one so I can stop caring. It's like... rip a backup of a dvd? Doesn't matter if you burn it to disk or keep it on your comp, not like the 5-8 gigs will affect your % used. Want to have every game you may play again a year or two down the road installed? Fine, doesn't matter. Want to rip iso's of every game you have so you never need to disk shuffle for game playing again? Why not. It's not a question of necessity, but a question of comfort :oPlus I mean I have about 300gigs of storage right now and I've been known to fill that up, so obviously I could use more heh. It's not that he's choosing 1.2PB because he thinks we need it, but because when he implements the new tech that's the most logical size to make it.Man if I could buy a single HD and never have to worry about storage again it would be amazing. Have like 20 linux distro's on it...if you buy a new comp or move to a new windows, just install the primary OS in a new partition and ignore the old, haha. Even with the huge drives we have, there's always the possibility of filling it up. For the price of a good video card in 5 years maybe we can stop worrying :P

You see... Jeigh is right... that's the point that i have been trying to explain to all over here...4-5 years from now.. and you dont even know what the future has in store for us...I say.... it wont be long before our storage requirements go up...Then... even the PB will be too small for us....U see... the world is continuously changing... Who would have ever dreamt of PB 3-4 years from now?and yet we see that it is a matter of just some years that these things come into existence....By the way.. since my HDD partition POLL had no response... i just thought of something else...Let's say.. you already own the PB.. it's very common now.... Mind you we are 10-12 years ahead of now...so.. here's the question...What name would you suggest for the next Storage? I mean... consider KB, MB, GB, TB, and now PB... in your opinion... what do you think will be the next initials for the storage...My answer to that would be the ZB.(ZILLA BYTE!)How'z that?:o

What name would you suggest for the next Storage? I mean... consider KB, MB, GB, TB, and now PB... in your opinion... what do you think will be the next initials for the storage...My answer to that would be the ZB.(ZILLA BYTE!)

How'z that?:lol:

Well, from physics as I remember it is E, (eksa) so it is 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 = 10^18 from the normal 1 (byte) and Peta is == 10^15.. and I don't know how everything is called further, but I am sure there is something already there, in physics, maths such further numbers are usually not needed, we usually don't go so high, usually down to 10^-15 (femto), (nano) 10^-9 :lol:

Hehe yea that's the problem with these funky names, they aren't just randomly pulled from a hat. They involve stupid predetermined names so the non-technically savy need to figure out not only what the difference between bytes and hertz is, but also what these mega/giga/tera/peta/on/and/on/and/on mean. Good times :lol: haha

but really though what could do with all the space besides load your computer with everything that you illegally obtain. I could only see a few people who would actually need something like that msn, google, yahoo and every major government that has a computer running their defenses and nukes thats about it. Like my mother tells me about having 600 channels on a tv you can't watch them all at once, same thing can be said about running a computer you can't play all your games at once either.

As I've said a few times, the point isn't that it is a NECESSITY. We accept that we (assumedly) won't NEED a 1.2PB drive in 5 years, but if its available for a few hundred more then a top end regular HD why wouldn't we get one. Instead of buying a couple normal ones over the period of the life of a computer to upgrade storage, get a single drive that fills your needs for possibly an infinite time. Get a new computer? Just swap in your drive and wipe/reinstall the OS partition and voila, your system has returned to its former glory. Again, not necessity, just another additional niceness of tech.

in the graphics and digital imaging field i can easily see that that could become really useful. ccd technology is getting better all the time. digital cameras could start shooting even bigger and better quality images that would need to be stored. if you can imagine a 50mb or 100mb or even 200mb photograph in the next few years [im pretty sure that we will get close to that] then you are going to be using much larger drives than now. also in the field of video the use of hd cameras for hd tv is going to use much more space. also with better scanner and suchlike archives of images or just drawings could be saved at much higher quality.i think this storage excess void will be filled [at least partly] by less compression and higher quality images. which i certainly lok forward to.

in the graphics and digital imaging field i can easily see that that could become really useful. ccd technology is getting better all the time. digital cameras could start shooting even bigger and better quality images that would need to be stored. if you can imagine a 50mb or 100mb or even 200mb photograph in the next few years [im pretty sure that we will get close to that] then you are going to be using much larger drives than now. also in the field of video the use of hd cameras for hd tv is going to use much more space. also with better scanner and suchlike archives of images or just drawings could be saved at much higher quality.
i think this storage excess void will be filled [at least partly] by less compression and higher quality images. which i certainly lok forward to.

You see.... IF Pictures can get soo advanced so as to have such huge file sizes... THINK about what other things might develop into...

I mean... couple the pictures with the softwarez etc and i can almost guarnatee you that it wont be long after the release of the PB that we will soon be short of SPACE! :lol:

Since I'm joining so late in the discussion, I first have to say "Good God, that's a lot of space!"

Of course, since the manufacturer already announced that this kind of storage is expected in 4-5 years, I supposed I shouldn't compare it to todays' requirements. I mean, yes, today even a TB Hard-disk may sound gigantic to some, but it really isn't. It's futile to imagine what kind of storage we will need in 2-3 years from now.

But still, I suppose that a PetaByte Hard-disk will be directed at the business sector first, since businesses are in real need for this kind of space. It doesn't mean that the public sector won't find it a yummy deal, either. I personally will most certainly get myself one of those bad boys.

And about the partitioning, I might as well do what I do now. A partition for each of my operating systems, and another partition having all the space left. I assume of course that in 4-5 years, processors won't have a problem dealing with such a huge partition, especially since the File Allocation System will most likely be updated to suit the new trend.

Anyway, if I'm to say only one thing about this new PetaByte Hard-disk, it'll be: "Baby, Come to Papa!"

Since I'm joining so late in the discussion, I first have to say "Good God, that's a lot of space!"

Of course, since the manufacturer already announced that this kind of storage is expected in 4-5 years, I supposed I shouldn't compare it to todays' requirements. I mean, yes, today even a TB Hard-disk may sound gigantic to some, but it really isn't. It's futile to imagine what kind of storage we will need in 2-3 years from now.

But still, I suppose that a PetaByte Hard-disk will be directed at the business sector first, since businesses are in real need for this kind of space. It doesn't mean that the public sector won't find it a yummy deal, either. I personally will most certainly get myself one of those bad boys.

And about the partitioning, I might as well do what I do now. A partition for each of my operating systems, and another partition having all the space left. I assume of course that in 4-5 years, processors won't have a problem dealing with such a huge partition, especially since the File Allocation System will most likely be updated to suit the new trend.

Anyway, if I'm to say only one thing about this new PetaByte Hard-disk, it'll be: "Baby, Come to Papa!"

That's one more guy who really has a positive attitude to the development of these HDD drives!

I'm real happy! :lol:

1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

Replying to jovencoronel

I download (archive) every thing. Music, movies, jpg, software, and web-sites thinks to three t4 connections.

Of the 60.0TB I have used about 54.0-TB

I do have problems with finding stuff. Need better organization.

I have three computers with 21 1.0TB HDDs networked That gives me 60.0TBs of space. Non of them are setup as a RAID (cost me $27,000)

Petabytes of Data? Soon enough...1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

Software that dynamically generates its own data - such as immersive 3D games - will easily generate these amounts of data (assuming you want the data to persist and not fade away as you leave an area). These could include extra data to enhance the experience (3D audio, olfactory/ tastes/ textures, per object) and allow for destructible (and persistent) environments.THEN we get to all of the above, PLUS the objects are raytraced (in realtime) rather than vector mapped and texture-wrapped.Petabytes of data? No trouble at all.

-reply by Ag Arthan