xisto Community
RoKeR

1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

The owner of Colossal Storage, Michael Thomas, says he's the first person to solve non-contact optical spintronics which will in turn ultimately result in the creation of 3.5-inch discs with a million times the capacity of any hard drive - 1.2 petabytes of storage!

1.2 Petabyte is a hell lot of space!
For those of you who don't know:
1.2Petabyte = 1 228.8Terabyte = 1 258 291.2Gigabyte

The 1.2Petabyte Hard Disk is expected to be finished within 4 to 5 years from now and would cost approximately $750USD for 1

Read itHere

520 of these COULD hold the whole internet! As of 2002, the internet was 532,897 TB according to the article i read somewhere.

Edited by RoKeR (see edit history)

Wow, that is really cheap. If you think of it, in about 7 or 8 years time we will have these hard dise for maybe 100-200$. Now it looks so awesome, but useless. Nobody really needs something that big, at least not for personal use. On the other hand, who knows what kind of systems and files we will have in the future!

Wow, that is really cheap. If you think of it, in about 7 or 8 years time we will have these hard dise for maybe 100-200$. Now it looks so awesome, but useless. Nobody really needs something that big, at least not for personal use. On the other hand, who knows what kind of systems and files we will have in the future!

but imagine, webhosting providers would need only 1 HDD :o that is soo awesome, I just cant wait this to be built, I would probably be first one to buy it, and make my own webhosting :P

Thinks about GOOGLE... how would their reaction be to this development. I would not be surprised if Google and all the other search engine giants would be the first ones to offer it.It is JUST WOW!Imagine.. you can actually install all the Operating Systems to date in it and yet have enough space to install 10 times as many.!!!Isn't that just great?AND More yet.. who knows that within these years we might have softwares as big as 50-90 GB each!!!

IOn order to have software thats 50-90gb, you'd need to have people MAKING that much data for each piece of software, meaning you'd be paying ALOT of money for that software :oBut yea this would truly be some awesome stuff, and the $750 price tag seems pretty genious to me. It's expensive enough to have a solid profit on each drive sold (excluding the research costs the materials probably aren't worth alot) and still have them start being sold by the millions. If he released petabyte drives for under a grand a pop, he'd knock the bottom out of the HD industry and bring down the competetors pretty damn quickly. Sure he could make as much money selling way less for a huge sum of money... but if he keeps it surprisingly low he won't have to worry about much in the way of competition :P Regardless, can't wait to see if this tech works as promsied.

well as quick as we are figuring out ways to store more data in a small amount of space, we are equally as fast to make bloated and inefficient software (*cough* windows). So what I would like to know is, when the time comes that 1.2 PB drives are mass marketed, how different will this storage boon really be to our current predicament? I mean, certainly we cannot use our current space requirements as a measurement for a device that won't even be available for 4-5 years (optimistically). That's an eternity in computing. We could have double/tripled/(some ludicrous factor)ed our data storage needs by then!

Wow .. a full back up of the internet finally .. :o .. but to think of it, we now say that we dont need so much of a space .. well thats what we said when 40GB HDD's came out .. and then 80GB and so on .. I am having trouble keeping my backup ( files, videos,mp3s etc) on a 160GB .. i recently got a DVD writer finally .. just to keep up with all that storage .. So well overall .. i'd say this is good .. but i need moreeeee .. more .. my precioussss :PRegardsDhanesh.

Nopez.. not exactly the whole of the internet! Not unless you buy 520 or more of those hard disks... But you know.. i guess... some people are partly correct..I dont think we will need sooo much of data storage space! i mean.. come on.... Think of it... Would you really need 1,200,000 GB worth of storage space 4-5 years from now?I dont think sooo...Anyways...Let's play a game... Rather like a poll... just thought of it...MIND YOU.. It's based on PURE IMAGINATION!!Suppose you have the 1.2PB HDD......EXACTLY INTO HOW MANY PARTITIONS WOULD YOU DIVIDE IT? AND WHAT FOR??just let your imagination float... be totally unrealistic if you have to...!!! :P MY answer to this POLL will be given soon.... after thinking abt it a bit... :o:o

MY answer.. well...I would be dividing it into exactly 4 partitions...One for the OS and utility softz... the other for Gamez...3rd one for MUSIC!!!!!!AND .... the fourth would be for all the Softz that i have ever wanted to download and have fun with....!!!!Please do reply now....

*drools*The first thing that comes to my mind is MUSIC STORAGE. I have quite a bit of music ... but even if I quadrupled my collection, I wouldn't make even a small dent in that drive.But oh, the challenge of trying to take up some of that space!Heh.Seriously though, this really does sound like something companies, not private people, would put to the best use.

Honestly, I don't think I can ever use that much storage in my lifetime... Unless I'm running a server or something.Seriously now, unless you never burn anything onto DVDs or CDs, there's no point in keeping everything on your HD after it's been outdated anyways.