xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

phpBB 2.0.19 Full Install DB Problems

Another phpBB question, Iâm still really new to such things. I had an older version of phpBB on my site and never got around to fully implementing it. A newer version came out (2.0.19) so I decided to just delete the old version and install the latest version from scratch. I would have liked to used Fantastico from the Xisto control panel but the only version offered is 2.0.18 which I hear has some security flaws.

I went to phpbb.com and downloaded the latest full package. I followed the instructions and got in installed to the point where you have to setup the database. I know it is bad to show it directly but hopefully I will have the problem fixed before too many people got to see it. The page is at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. If this post is over a few days old and you see a properly setup forum then good for me, bad for you, sorry.

I have set the database type to mySQL 4.x/5.x, as MySQL version 4.0.25-standard is indicated in the control panel.

I have created a new database from cpanel > MySQL Databases, created a new user, and set that user to have ALL PRIVILEGES on the said database.

When I enter all the known information into the setup script, I get a user permission error. Has anyone had this same problem and know of a solution?

As is usually the case, I spent 3 days trying to figure out this problem, gave up, posted to the help forum, and then found the solution 20 seconds later. Maybe this can help someone else with a similar problem.I reused the existing database user created for the previous install for the newly created database. I went ahead and created a new user with the same name as the database. Set all the permissions and it worked. I don’t know if it was a problem with the old user or that the user and database had to have the same name, I suspect the later. Hope this helps someone else out.