xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lonebyrd

Web Page Design As Possible Side Job? What would it take?

I was thinking of possible starting a small out-of-the-home thing of making web pages for people to bring in a little extra income. I had a couple of questions that I was wondering if anyone could answer though. -Would I have to find a host site for the client or would it be thier job? -Where do people find backgrounds for Web Pages? -If a client gets a web page done by me, I should offer to maintain it, if it is a business site correct? -Would I need a site to show what I can do (I was planning to use my Xisto acct. for a game I want to make)?I can't think of anymore questions right now. It's a thought I've had lingering around before, but it really popped into my head as I was trying to sleep last night. So, I thought I'd ask about it here.

-Would I have to find a host site for the client or would it be thier job?

If you're working for a small business, they usually don't have the knowledge to get their own server. But if you're working for bigger ones, they should already have a server to host their site on.

-Where do people find backgrounds for Web Pages?

What do you mean by backgrounds? Did you mean the background color/image for a webpage? You should probably stick with background colors instead of images, because it's more professional. So you shouldn't have to look for an image.

-If a client gets a web page done by me, I should offer to maintain it, if it is a business site correct?

If you want more profit, you should charge extra every time they ask you to update it. :o

-Would I need a site to show what I can do (I was planning to use my Xisto acct. for a game I want to

make)?

It would help you get more businesses, so it's a good idea to have one. However, it's not required. You could just link people to some example jobs that you've done.

Yea if they try to say you need to maintain it without offering to pay you for it, I'd say don't even make the page for them to begin with or just say up front you won't keep it updated without compensation. Keeping a business site up-to-date can be a fairly large undertaking and it wouldn't be worth making the site if you were going to update it for free.I also agree with using examples of you're work. Even if you create some generic template sites and just store them on your asta account (just don't link them to your main site...) or even give them a cd with the examples on it. This would allow them to see a set of possible site design styles you are capable of and possibly catch their eye. An official "Hi, I make webpages, here is all the info about me!" type business site for yourself wouldn't be required if you plan to keep things small, but you'll need examples for sure.

I have another question. Regarding a hosting account, if I had more than one client, would it be possible to have one hosting site but have more than one clients web pages on them. I don't know if that question can be answered or if that is a 'depends on the host service' kinda thing. I was just wondering if I were to get into this if I were going to have to go and find a bunch of different hosts to do it.

That is indeed probably a 'depends on the host' kind of thing. I'm not 100% sure, but you'd probably need to check in with whoever you would be getting your hosting from. Logically it should be fine to attach numerous domain's to a single hosting account... since it's really just using space on a server... but it might be not allowed by many so they can make more money on forcing people to have multiple accounts for multiple sites.I mean having subdomains would be possible... but I assume since you'd be making professional websites they would prefer a full domain addy.

I mean having subdomains would be possible... but I assume since you'd be making professional websites they would prefer a full domain addy.

That might be the best solution. For example you make a presentation about you and you work at http://www.domain.com/, I think 1 GB would be enough :o . And then you use this web space to provide you customers with hosting. Now, here's that catch. Let's say someone buys your services, you make a web site and put it at subdomain.domain.com, and limit the space on that subdomain. After that you can buy a top level domain (http://www.subdomain.com/) and put it as an AddOn domain for the subdomain.domain.com. That way you use your space, and the customer is satisfied because they have their own domain. Of course, you would ear a lot that way, because you can charge everything!

A sister company to the Xisto Forums is Xisto - Web Hosting.com.
They recently started to offer Web Hosting Re-selling plans.
Might want to check it out at the Xisto - Web Hosting.com main page. https://xisto.com/

or PM to OpaQue.

This sounds like something I'll definitly have to think about more thorougly. It seems there are more options then I thought. I would probable start out keeping it simple, as I have only done a few simple web pages for my own amusement and would need to practice more first. But if I could get a client base and expand in the future, I might want to check out having my own space. But all that would come in time.

i do this to earn a bit of pocket money and what i have done is used copmuting host but just made a seperate accound for each client. Xisto - Web Hosting is really cheap so i charge my clients a little extra for my time.i would love to hear from anyone how much they could 'value' a website at. i have never really known how much to sell what i've done for. sometimes i really get the feeling that i am undercharging. the problem is that i have no way of finding out how much other sites are worth.

How much to charge - good question. My "Flash" instructor, who used design web pages for clients, had these general guidelines: flash site $250 per page; non-flash site $200 per page.Of course, this is only general statement and it varies depending on the content and features.

Ask other Web site designers in your area about their rates. You can get a pretty good idea of what your market will bear from their answers. Getting an idea of what the going rate is will keep you from undercharging for your services - and from overcharging, which would chase off potential customers.Good luck with your venture *grins* Be sure to let us know how it's going from time to time.

A good idea, although I recommend that you do your study about webdesign, as the question "Where do I find backgrounds?" will not really sound good as a designer. :P

it sound like i'm undercharging. $200 a page! the last site i build was 5 pages and i 'sold' it for about $250 [£150]. it's even easier money than i thought and i am going to have to raise my prices. that said low prices do make me an attractive propersition for a small business. its a bout finding a balance and being resonable i surpose.