xisto Community

If you don't want to spend all your money on a license, you'll should try NVU. It's of course not as good as Dreamweaver, but it does his job and I think it's a really nice alternative.-=jeroen=-

Yes. Very true. I've used MS Frontpage, and the results are... ehh, okay.
It's not worth the money, that's for sure. NVU is around the same quality for much less. Actually, for nothing.
I'm sure if you want the best possible quality, one of those expensive ones like Dreamweaver is great. However, for my site I just use NVU (or MS Frontpage on computers at school). Great program.

I hate WYSIWYG editors, too. One look at the source code makes me cringe.I use NotepadEx. It uses tabs, which helps me organise my pages better than Notepad, but that's about it's best feature. I like it anyway.I couldn't even get used to syntax highlighting at first. Now I kinda like it (helps me remember to close list tags, and paragraph tags - occasionally I still forget), but still don't use an editor that has it.

I hate WYSIWYG editors, too. One look at the source code makes me cringe.
I use NotepadEx. It uses tabs, which helps me organise my pages better than Notepad, but that's about it's best feature. I like it anyway.

I couldn't even get used to syntax highlighting at first. Now I kinda like it (helps me remember to close list tags, and paragraph tags - occasionally I still forget), but still don't use an editor that has it.

So you say you hate WYSIWYG editors? What's so bad about designing in WYSISWYG editors? Designers should be using WYSIWYG because it's a lot to do with the visual display of the site. If you were to design one with just coding, you got to be really good to make a very professional webpage.

If you are using linux you could use bluefish. It is really excellent program for editing html and especially css. It is also very good for php. Too bad there is no version for windows.But you could use some of the live linux distributions, so you don't have to change your existing software, only bad thing is that you can't write to ntfs partitions. I recommend you Austrumi. It is very small, about 50 MB, but it has many nice programs like Firefox, Gimp, Inkscape, some office tools, etc.

I use Notepad, and NoteTab (nice editor, just google it, I forget the site name).I also have Dreamweaver, it's nice, it helps you update quickly, but I personally like to type out the code. And like someone else said, the code is a NIGHTMARE. It's so busy and unorganized, you can hardly find anything, let alone change anything. I've never tried starting a page from scratch and typing it in the 'Coder' view of Dreamweaver. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad, because it'd be like another editor, but like I said, I've never tired it.

I am sick of using notepad to create my HTML pages and I want somthing better. Are there any programs available that are easier to use than notepad for html editing. If so i wolud like to know about them.Thanx

I have used JEdit for a long time. It is a Java-based editor with good platform customization and a lot of useful plugins (you can extend it with either Java or scripts of various types). It works on any machine (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc), so it made it easy to switch back and forth. The HTML, XML, CSS, etc., plugins do syntax highlighting, it has a preview option, completion, and so forth. It also has plugins for just about any other language so it is a one-size-fits-all editor.

The editor I use most of the time is AquaEmacs, which is a Mac-specific version of GNU emacs. GNU emacs also runs on every platform. Emacs, like JEdit, has a number of "modes" for editing different types of files. It is very powerful, but not necessarily for the faint of heart. There are a number of books about using emacs both fro beginners and emacs. It is one of the oldest and most improved editors in existence.

hi to all

zend studio :P:P:P is a best wysiwyg for php ana java and html and java script and ...

it is avalable in http://www.zend.com/

I also use zend for php.

But for HTML I used ACE HTML. It is an editor - not a WYSIWYG program. I agree with the earlier comment about the code that an editor like front page creates. For starters, the page ends up being very heavy with unncessary code. As for HTML being "visual" (another previous post), we create our sites first in photoshop and then break them up.

I have dreamweaver but rarely use it because it has in the past messed up some of my code. But it is an easy way to work with tables.

(Back in the day) I learned HTML with a basic editor called Ken Nesbit's web edit. It was not much more than notepad.

Notepad is good if you're a beginner, a diehard pro, or need to work out specific code without the distraction of extra stuff.MS Frontpage is "meh". I don't like it much. It's like white bread in a world of cinnamon bagels. :PI like the one that OpenOffice has. I think it is called NVU. Not bad for free, but as you know, it adds its own little touches to the code. Sometimes it'll throw you off guard as well.