xisto Community

I need to access my computer from outside, via TELNET.Could you please tell me what to do. Which port do I need to open?My current distro: Fedore Core 4.

Doing like this usually worked for me, it should also work for you. Just try it Enabling telnet :cd /etc/xinetd.d cat telnet# default: on# description: The telnet server serves telnet sessions; it uses \# unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.service telnet{ flags = REUSE socket_type = stream wait = no user = root server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd log_on_failure += USERID disable = yes}replace disable=yes by disable=noand restart xinetd or simply reboot your linux system.how to restart xinetd withour rebooting :cd /etc/rc.d/init.d./xinetd restartHope this helped Yordan

telnet is fine ..but i think u should stick with SSH , its encrypted and should be the default wayto access remote systems. SSH has alot of goodies like Xforwarding and tunneling. If you need a good ssh client for Windows try , putty. I know Telnet is there on default Windows sytems..but putty is very smal application and any one can download it easily. On another note .I wonder when would WIindows come with builtin ssh support.

telnet is fine ..but i think u should stick with SSH , its encrypted and should be the default wayto access remote systems. SSH has alot of goodies like Xforwarding and tunneling. If you need a good ssh client for Windows try , putty. I know Telnet is there on default Windows sytems..but putty is very smal application and any one can download it easily.
On another note .
I wonder when would WIindows come with builtin ssh support.

Agree, if you want to keep you password and user name secure, you shoud use ssh. Telnet sends all the information unencrypted and is a big hole for peepers. As for the ssh client for Windows, it's available at ssh home site. Other third party options are available as well. I'm using SecureCRT.
Edited by aciminsk (see edit history)

As a long time Fedora Core user, and now Fedora Core 5 user, I still would recommend SSH over Telnet.

I would suggest turning off SELinux if you haven't done so but it may cause problems, even in FC5, customising policies for every single aspect is not what I am wanting to do, and is just as bad as running scan disk and defrag on a windows box, it's too time consuming.

First I would check if you have OpenSSH-Server:

rpm -qa | grep openssh

If that doesn't return openssh-server, then I'd use yum to install it:

su -c "yum -y install openssh-server openssh openssh-clients openssh-askpass"

Hopefully that will also resolve the needed dependancies from the repositories that you download from.

Next would be starting the sshd server

First check that it's not already running:

pgrep sshd

If any PID numbers return, it's running, if not do as below:

su -c "/sbin/chkconfig --level 2 sshd on"su -c "/sbin/service sshd start"

Just to explain the above, we make sure that sshd will be started as a service next time, we then start it manually (one off thing to do if you make it a service to run when your computer starts).

Next would be testing it out:

ssh -l YourUserName localhost

If all goes well you should be logged in as YourUserName@localhost

You can also use it for SCP/SFTP using clients that support it, as well as if you're a GUI user, you might be able to track down a GUI frontend for SSH or a GUI SSH Client.

And before I forget, make sure you configure your firewall to allow SSH (usually port 22).

Cheers,

MC

VNC uses much more memory, CPU and traffic, though it is less secure. Talking about SSH, I recommend OpenSSH, there are ports on many systems, including Windows, both server and client, and sources. It is developed by the guys from OpenBSD team, so it's as reliable, as OpenBSD itself. By the way, it's default server for most linux distributives.

Edited by Val-Amart (see edit history)