xisto Community
drip

Create A Site Without Cms But Just Dreamweaver?

The Web site will enable staff to be able to maintain the Web site with DreamWeaver. The maintenance of content must be separate from the maintenance of design so that individual offices responsible for providing information would be capable of maintaining that information on the site. Please give a detailed explain.

Not really sure what you are wanting, but you can create a site with DreamWeaver but to manage it you really need it to be a content management system. DW is alright for design but not made to manage a site. Site management would include setting permissions for users, moving or deleting posts, adding and or editing content like news or topics. Optimizing the Database, banning users, sending mass email changing the look of the site by rearranging modules, activating or deacitvating modules and or blocks. DW could not possibly do all that. With CMS everything is done right in the site itself, no need for an editor other than what is built in wether it be WYSIYWYG or BB Code. So design the site with DW and manage it with a cms of some sort, even if you have to build your own CMS.

well it's possible, but if you know nothing about dreamweaver I suggest you better buy some book about it. There are plenty of books, and you can even go to public library and just lease a book. Anyway, you must make a template with your design in dreamweaver, and then later on, people who will maintain website will just edit areas that you selected as "content" in Dreamweaver template. It's easy as that, but anyway, I can't give you detailed explanation here, because I don't have much time, but little googleing will do the trick also...
:o

The Web site will enable staff to be able to maintain the Web site with DreamWeaver. The maintenance of content must be separate from the maintenance of design so that individual offices responsible for providing information would be capable of maintaining that information on the site.
Please give a detailed explain.

I have to re-itorate your words, please give a detailed explanation, of what you mean.Are you saying that you want Dreamweaver to be able to update content live on a site? That would be a stupid thing to do and would take more time setting up and fixing errors, than simply getting a piece of software like Contribute.Vujsa has created a CMS tutorial (CMS 101) in the PHP section, which you will find useful if you want to create one from scratch.

I do not know why you are not choosing to use a CMS, once you get used to the CMS it will be very easy to manage big sites/ or content rich pages.Dynamic pages are tough and time consuming to be made in a desktop application like Dreamweaver.I think you should go the CMS way, select a good one (Joomla! ???) Find a nice and unique template/theme then you are ready to go.--knight17

Edited by knight17 (see edit history)

Dreamweaver is good for people coding very basic PHP / ColdFusion sites and non-dynamic sites that do not use server-side scripting or databases.

With creating a site that needs to be updated separately by different offices, etc, a content management system would be most appropriate to use. Recommended ones are Drupal and Joomla, but you can also try them out at OpenSourceCMS.

If you must use Dreamweaver, I have no clue how to accomplish such a large-scale website content system.