xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
penkas

Network 2 + 1

I've two pc's working in a small network in my house working correctly, and i've just bought a laptop ( sony vaio).I just can't put it working with the other computersI tried to put the IP manually, but that also doesn't work The laptop doesn't "see" the others and vice-versa- They all have Windows Xp - ProfessionalWhat can I do ?

Make sure all your computers are on the same Windows Workgroup (right-click on My Computer, click Properties, Computer Name tab).If it's exactly the same, then try checking the Subnet Mask you have configured.Just by any chance, please make sure you configure a new network on your laptop through the Home Network Wizard (may be different name, I'm using a portuguese version) besides using the Wireless LAN Wizard if you're using it.Make sure you give the workgroup name OK, most people don't get things right at first because of a typo in that very important field. If you're using a router, try checking if your laptop is getting an IP address from it and/or if you can access the web, for example.

Make sure all your computers are on the same Windows Workgroup (right-click on My Computer, click Properties, Computer Name tab).
If it's exactly the same, then try checking the Subnet Mask you have configured.

Just by any chance, please make sure you configure a new network on your laptop through the Home Network Wizard (may be different name, I'm using a portuguese version) besides using the Wireless LAN Wizard if you're using it.

Make sure you give the workgroup name OK, most people don't get things right at first because of a typo in that very important field. If you're using a router, try checking if your laptop is getting an IP address from it and/or if you can access the web, for example.

Check also firewall settings in Sonyvaio. i'm using PT version too. So it makes we portuguese citizens. HEHE

Try disabling the firewalls on the other computers and have some patience, it might take a whil before windows can see any 'new' (booted) computer in a network (it also takes a long time before a shut-down pc is removed from the network).Also make shure that the gateway and dns settings are the same.