xisto Community
marretas

London Gets 2GB / Second Internet

High-speed Internet next generation in UK wil allow do download 32,564 pages from britain library in less than 10 seconds, this news was announced today in London by a group of scientists, responsable for the system creation. According to a UK journal working for "The Times", this high-speed technology will be the fastest in the world. Shoreditch Project is it's name, it will allow access internet images and content with a speed of 2 GB/ Second, while the major internet speed connections actually avaible in UK is 2 megabytes/second.The new system has 13 000 meters of optical fibre and will replace the vital network connections in case of terrorist attack.Great news for UK internet users :o

Good for th UK users. The United States government better step up with something like that soon or I'm moving to the UK. :o This should boost webste production and make the internet more usable because more people in the UK will want to use the internet for thier needs, and the people that are using it will be able to do things much faster, in the UK of cource.

Edited by jake658879 (see edit history)

Wow! 2gbps?!! That's huge! But what's the point if all major connections around the world are not more than 2mbps? The download speed can't be more than the upload speed of the server right?

Oh joy, more websites will start being more polluted with awful flash animations... cant wait :oHeh, on a serious note it's always great to see a tech advance, but I assume it'll be a fair while before it hits this side of the pond (especially here in Canada). Until then the majority of webpages won't customize to those user's since Brits make up only a small portion of web users, and of those only a certain portion will even have this megauberpwnt-internet

who cares about flash at this speed? what about online gaming...it would be a blast.

That's it! I officially do not need any more reasons to move to the UK *grins*No, not really. I just hope the U.S. jumps on this soon too.

Is this 2GBps connection only available in the library? Or limited to just one service provider? Or is it still in research, and not actually implemented yet?Last year, a service provider (HKBN) in Hong Kong started providing 1 GBps connections for about $30 US dollars a month. I guess that's pretty close to what UK offers now. But for connections to non-HK servers, the speed was significantly slower.

Hatim - My concern wasn't actually having to download the flash animations, it's that if people all start using flash even more, there will be even more sites with horrid looking annoying flash crap... flash is one of the best things to have happened to the net.. and one of the worst :o So much flash trash out there with all the badly animated overloaded put you in a seizure type sites :|But yea throw up a link to the news article if you have one, I have a few curiosities based on what your original comments stated...

With most standard ethernet cables maxing out around 1GB/s or so I thought, I would lvoe to know what cable is going to carry this 2GB/s signal. Even assuming the average modem could handle the signal, to split the signal with a router would decrease the speed by 1/2, making it impracticle for the home. I would imagine that this is a dedicated line to the library, since thelibrary was mentioned specifically. It seems that it was designed to maintain basic required functionailty in case of a terrorist attack, not designed to aid the average person greatly. and the Us govt has systems like that set up for its own use already, in small, isolated areas for intersite communications.~Viz

It always makes my laugh when i see super high speed internet adverts..For example Bulldog offers 8mbit connection ( with a 2gigabit a month limit )click the wrong button, maybe start downloading FreeBSD by accident, then go make a coffee.when you get back, your months bandwidth has gone.

click the wrong button, maybe start downloading FreeBSD by accident, then go make a coffee.

You speak from experience perhaps? :o

But yea, I had that problem. Got a new cable connection at home once and didn't look at the download limit. Just kept downloading and downloading and finished the month's quota in 10 days :P.

I think people are not getting the part of 2GB download. It is going to cost a lot for it to be viable.Anyway, we have much greater connections now. At the college I am about to attend, they will be improving their connection to 6GB. This involves a lot of wires and redirects. They already have 2GB, and from my induction day, it was like opening pages that are on your computer.Just remember, that the internet connection can be 5TB, but the computer handling the requests will be limited to it's processor and memory as well as page file.Answer to abhiram, your download isn't judged on your upload. You could download from a server quicker than you can upload to it.

Answer to abhiram, your download isn't judged on your upload. You could download from a server quicker than you can upload to it.

I meant the upload speed of the server that I'm connecting to. If the guy running the server (in Cambodia say) has only a 2mbps connection, my 2gbps connection will at max get me data at 2mbps only right? Edited by abhiram (see edit history)

I meant the upload speed of the server that I'm connecting to. If the guy running the server (in Cambodia say) has only a 2mbps connection, my 2gbps connection will at max get me data at 2mbps only right?

Yes, that's the maximum speed. The server's 2mbps connection is like a bottleneck to your connection. I don't know if that will be the actual speed, though. I'm not an expert at this.

The actual speed is limited in the following order by various limiters, the maximum speed is the slowest speed of the limiters, usually disregarding order, although sometimes order can be important for timeout. Because the order generally does not matter, I may mess up a few orders, or leave some minor things out, but this should give you a general detail.1) The maximum upload speed of the server, no information download can be faster than this.2) The maximum upload speed from the server to the particular client. Since servers may have multiple connections downloading simultaneously, bandwidth is split between them. Therefore a particular client's maximum download speed can be no faster than the bandwidth the server has alotted to that connection.3) The maximum bandwidth of any intermediate connections. Since the internet does not connect two computers directly, but through a network of other computers, if one of the intermediate computers has a slower bandwidth (in this example, the upload speed) than the server, the intermediate connection will slow down the data transfer.4) The client's maximum download speed. No matter how much data comes in, he client can only read o much of it. Good servers will detect the client download speed before sending data, because if the server sends too much more than the client can handle at a time, it can cause data loss as buffers overflow.~Viz