xisto Community
saGE19

New Laptop - Dell, Bad laptop, dell, bad

well my current dell laptop is a inspiron 1000 which is complete crap. it's been terrible almost a month after i got it for christmas...i'd say a year and a half ago. It was low on memory two months later! i got more upgraded and it was still crap. recently the screen has been blacking out while the computer remains active and continues to do it every time i get past the loading screen but instead of pouring more money into my sad little laptop I've decided to spring for a new one. I'm looking for one that's not too costly nothing above fifteen-hundred(1,500). And one that will be good for light graphics work. just a few things with photoshop for online web layouts and gaming (sims 2). Any recommendations? i hope not too many will recommend another dell

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

ASUS comes with pretty high marks. Don't spring for an Acer unless you're going for their high-end segment. the lower models are cheap, but they look it and act that way a lot too. I've had good experiences with hp. If you go for their corporate segment, those are built to last. Of course IBM has solid performers too, but personally i don't like them. Alienware is great, but can you get it for under $1500? only on Ebay or similar. For photoshop and gaming it'd be nice if you can find one with a dedicated graphics card, but if not, then go for over 512 MB ram and 128 MB allocated for graphics. Radeon Mobility series cards are good.

I've been using a Toshiba Satellite 3000 for the last 6 years and it's been giving me great service. I've utilized it for graphics as well as video editing and rendering, other than the regular internet, gaming and running Apache on Windows. I bought it with 512 MB RAM, and it's got a 1.2 celeron processor. As long as I don't render more than 2 movies at a time, it's never hung. Toshiba's got good hardware and handles Windows well. I tried Linux (Redhat and Debian) for about a year, but switched back to Windows since performance was faster using Windows. HP is also a good bet. My girlfriend has one and it's also put to good use, since it's on 24/7 and extensively used to scan and continously run OCR on documents (Law research). But that machine is doing a 1024 RAM and has a 4 Gig processor, and packs a decent 120 HDD. If connectivity is a concern, make sure you have bluetooth, Wireless networking, IR, Multiple card reader becides the DVD R/W. You'll get an HP with a great config for under 1500USD. If you've got friends travelling to South Asia or to Dubai, have them pick a machine up there.

I will suggest you to buy all the pieces for separate and assemble your own custom computer. I think you can afford a motherboard for Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, 1Gb DDR2 Ram, a Radeon X1800 XL videocard and a 160gb HDD, and spend the rest in the other things: monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. Also a good sound card would be nice.I hope this'll help you.P.S. Sorry for my bad english.