xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
anime princess

Dynamic Site Design - Where Do I Start ?

I am new to php. I have some programing background in html, javascript, and c++ but have never done anything in phpCan someone reccomend some good sites or books etc that can help someone who is completely new?My ultimate goal is to make a game like/similar to ponyisland.net

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

An online Book that is pretty comprehensive from the ground up. It is bookmarked in my browsers. Great reference with good examples and explainations. Here is a link to it HERE. Hope that will be of some value, you also might want to go to the main PHP site and look at the manual. You can get there at this LINK

for start, you also could browse this site: http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp it is not so bad, and is easy to understand for a beginner, but if you want to go deep into php, read a book. But I think with time and practice you will learn it, it is not so hard, especially when you have some basic knowledge of programming. :o

I recommend to buy a book, It should do the trick, one of Oreilly series, these are the best around, but any other book related to general usage and learning of PHP would be good to. Nice place to start is also google, and just search for free php scripts directories. It's often good to find scripts that are working, and looking at their code might give you idea on how to do stuff in php.

How well do you know C/C++? If you are familiar with C, you'll find PHP easy to learn. At least I did. Basically all I did was read a magazine article that got me interested and then I started doing some simple scripts and used PHP.net as guide. Anyways if you don't have much C experience I'd recommend getting a book.

Actually, I agree with Hercco About that if you know C/C++ well enough, your work with PHP will be quite easy&successful. I've studied PHP for 2 days only by a little 180 rubles(about 6$) book and could easiy do this one(no shedules, only my fingers :o ). And if you remember my litle age, you'd understand that creatin' cool sites is quite simple.

Just to answer your question, I'd tell you that for the dynamic design you need CSS much more than PHP, Since in couple with JS, CSS gives DHTML, which is the most powerful one for creatin' dynamical sites. So, you shold stidy all)))

And, by da way, that "ponyisland.net" is a very weak in programming. http://neverlands.ru/ is much better.

jlhaslip, that page is such a silly one... Aren't you makin' a joke?