xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
organicbmx

Need Tutorial On Mp3 Playback In Kubuntu

i need to install mp3 support in my kubuntu install because i need music!i tried to do that using a guide on the amaroK wiki but it did not seem to work.i installed two libs for the xine engine but this did not work.a walkthrough of how to install would be great. if anyone wants to do it.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

If kubuntu's mp3 playback is equivalent to ubuntu,sudo apt-get install mplayerand mplayer should run mp3's fine... if that isn't the install name just to a synaptic search for it.Once I did that back on my ubuntu machine I could use mp3's in pretty much all my media programs.. although a couple were still glitchy about it.

the best media player in ubuntu for mp3 is xmas, i think, i'm using ubuntu since earlier edition and now i'm using kubuntu, anyway to install it, use : apt-get install xmms , also you can install automati, it's a very good helping tool to setup a lot of applications and media support you may needenjoy :o

Edited by XIII (see edit history)

xmms doesn't always have mp3 support built in... usually does but not always (it should in kubuntu tho...)

May be, i always install it, and it always has mp3 support, anyway he can just install automatix, it's the best solution for media support, also for setting up the latest versions of media players, firefox, java and flash plugins and much more, it's really so helpful tool for newbies in linux, specially a debian based distro like ubuntu and kubuntu, and as i said i've kubuntu right now installed on my machine, XMMS works well with it :o

All media players support mp3.
but some distros remove the support on pre-compiled binaries. (for fear of being sued)

there are 2 options....

1) use a idfferant format, OGG is much better than mp3 in my opinion.

2) uninstall kubuntu's versinon of Xine, and use un-crippled Xine from http://www.xine-project.org/home

you can convert mp3 to OGG with programs like sox http://sox.sourceforge.net/ ( might even be already installed on your system )

sox myMusic.mp3 myMusic.ogg

sox reads the file extension to work out what formats to encode to, and virtually all sound formats are supported.

Well yea I know those players "do" support mp3's, I was moreso talking about in their native ubuntu/kubuntu releases. I think it was a dif distro that had raped xmms though anyways.But yea I had forgotten about automatix, just run that and it'll apt-get everything you could ever need for a base system :o

i think you should install gstreamer and other restricted extras. As you know, ubuntu doesn't support playback for MP3 caused by patent and copyright restriction problem. But still you can install plugins which isn't included in ubuntu installation. Maybe this will help

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

cheers :o