xisto Community

I saw your quiz Topic on VB City, m^e and u were damn good. How 'bout we test each others skill in here B)?

So let me begin the quiz.

Q1: "I've always been 45 years older than your Dad", said Grandma to young Trickle. "But now the two digits in my age, both prime, are the reverse of the two in your Dad's age". How old is Grandma?

BTW, this is an extract from The Telegraph monday 27 February 2006.

Before the replies start comming, let me get on with another question.

Q2: Scatterbrain the Treasurer was a bit of a ...... well, scatterbrain, and he had forgotten how many gold, silver and bronze coins were kept in the town vaults. So he decided to ask the three guards, each of whom guarded one type of coin. How many coins were in his charge?

However, the guards were uncooperative, and the best that Scatterbrain could get from each was a statement about the numbers of coins in the other two vaults. Dimwit, who was guarding the gold, said there were 3000 silver and 5000 bronze coins; Thickplank who was in charge of the silver, said there were 3000 gold and 5000 bronze; while Beefbrain, who was protecting the bronze, said there were 4000 gold and 3000 silver.

Unfortunately, only one guard was being truthful, each of the other two stating at least one false amount. If there were 12000 coins al-together, how many of each type were there?

BTW, this is an extract from The Telegraph monday 27 February 2006.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

Should I start answering ??

I have the solution for Quiz 1.

I'll wait for others to put in their feedback. But here's a simple hint.

Let the letters A and B represent the digits in grandma's age. So her age at any point can be algebraically represented as: 10A + B.

Let some more feedbacks pour in, then I'll start adding in my own puzzles too ;) Good going on that turbo. I'd planned to start one here for a long time but always slipped my mind somehow or the other. B)

Do we start answering now? ;)

Ya man - the whole idea is, WHOEVER answers first, gets to ask the next round of questions.

So in effect, you put in your answer and add in your own question too. That way the thread keeps moving real fast. But make sure your questions are intriguing and brain-stimulating B)

You don't need to worry about the questions - if you don't have one, simply try and answering the one above. Further questions will keep pouring in somehow or the other.

I'm going to add in a pictorial puzzle here. This should be pretty easy.

Posted Image

Still waiting for the replies to the earlier ones.

Guys - here's the thing. DON'T wait for others to reply - and simply say, "oooh I know the answer .. should I? shouldn't I?"

That's not how this thing works. You know the answer, be the first one to state it. That way it keeps moving real fast.

In fact, I'm going to reply to the first one for a starter.

The answer is 72. How?

As I pointed out earlier, either of the ages can be represented algebraically as 10A + B, where A and B are the respective digits in Tens and Units places.

Now, we know that daddy's age is just the reverse of grandma's age.

So if Grandma's age = 10A + B,

Daddy's age = 10B + A

We also know that, daddy's age deducted from grandma's gives us 45.

So we can come up with a simple formula:

( 10A + B ) - ( 10B + A ) = 45

=> 9A - 9B = 45

=> A - B = 5

Once, you've reached this step knowing the fact that both digits are prime, just try out by simple trial and error and find which two single digit primes gives a difference of 5 and you have your answer.

Grandma = 72

Daddy = 27

Regards,

m^e

You barstuard, it took me ages for that one.The five people take the eggs out, but does the last one take the basket as well? Therefore leaving the egg in the basket?

I was thinking either that, or the 6th person takes his egg from one of the first 5, so the 6th egg is left untouched.(Oh and about Q2, I misread it the first time so my answer was wrong, gonna lookat it now weeee)

He turned off the light in a light house and a ship crashed?Oh and for back at #2...there was 5000 Bronze, 4000 Silver, 3000 Gold...I think... Since the guy guarding the silver was telling the truth.

Here's a nice one for future Microsoft employees. I've solved it in six minutes. M$, here I come!

There are no tricks - this is a straight forward problem. This is supposed to be one of the questions which potential Microsoft employees are asked.
U2 have a concert that starts in 17 minutes and they must all cross a bridge to get there. All four men begin on the same side of the bridge. You must help them across to the other side. It is night. There is one flashlight.

A maximum of two people can cross at one time. Any party that crosses the bridge, either 1 or 2 people, must have the flashlight with them. The flashlight must be carried back and forth, it cannot be thrown, etc. Each band member walks at a different speed. A pair must walk together at the rate of the slower man's pace:

* Bono: - 1 minute to cross
* Edge: - 2 minutes to cross
* Adam: - 5 minutes to cross
* Larry: - 10 minutes to cross

For example: if Bono and Larry walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed by the time they get to the other side of the bridge. If Larry then returns with the flashlight, a total of 20 minutes have passed and you have failed the mission.

There is no trick to this. It is a simple movement of resources in the appropriate order. There are two known answers to this problem. Microsoft expects you to answer this question in under 5 minutes!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/