xisto Community
tripletriangle

Music, What Has It Turned Into?

Music, the ultimate art form. It express everything, your thoughts, feelings, and your soul. But why all of a sudden has it turned into something that is used for just the purpose of money? Music had gone through many different stages through the ages, from Jazz to Metal. The people that listen to music have changed too. People have even become racist against certain types of music, but why? Musical racism has taken over like a disease, people judge you over the music you listen too. It's a personal choice, and it represents your individuality. So the next time someone talks to you and they like a band you don't like, respect the choice.People get their ideas on music from other people, television, and how they feel. For example, one day you feel sad, so you listen to some Bright Eyes, but the next day you are outrageously happy and listen to some ACDC, and bash Bright Eyes for it's over sensitiveness.Also, another problem with music that now exists is the soul provider of it, the music industry. Record labels aren't picking artists because of talent, they are picking them just because of who they are. If you look on MTV or any other music television show not many of the artists are extremely talented. Britney Spears can put out a label in 20 seconds, and still get the money, the fame, and appraise. Someone who put their soul and all their effort into an album wouldn't get signed because they are a nobody. The music industry is now failing to do it's job, it's not bringing any new talent in, just a fresh face every week. When people start comparing Good Charlotte to The Ramones, ACDC, and Led Zepplin there is something wrong.Even though this all may be true, if there was such a thing called "music harmony" there wouldn't be many different genres to pick from, everyone would be the same, right? So, the differences in music is good and bad, it creates music racism, but it also creates individuality.I believe that sometimes music is taken overboard, when artists use the same material all the time just to sell records, it gets quite old. Artists should bring new things to it's listeners, and expand their music horizons. One great example of this would be U2, now I'm not saying U2 is the greatest thing ever, but only suggesting that they show musical evolution in a great way. U2 does have it's fault like every musician as well. And one of those faults happens to be to much preaching.A lot of artists do this, they know they make a big impact on society, and use this to push ideas onto the people. In some cases this is great, when artists support great things like "Save The Music", The Tsunami Relief Fund, and voting it gets people involved in the world, it shows them there is much needed improvement in the world.In conclusion, music has had it's ups and downs but it's always seemed to bring people together. I hope music does change more, but I hope people also remember the classics. Sometimes I even wonder if the classics of yesterday will be brought back to life, because everything is possible in music.

I agree with the opinion that there are artists that don?t evolve but I suppose when you get older (U2, REM or Lou Reed for example) you dont live the same way, specially if you are richer than in your young and wild years. I don?t think it?s so easy for artists to change their positions... music industry has no mercy and labels take a step back whenever they hear something risky. Always better the easy way.Anyway you talked about U2. A really great band, but their last two albums are just contemplative... nothing new, medium level songs that (mean to) sound like Joshua Tree era.I suppose that in the Internet era listeners have to make the choice. ?Search original things or wait for the labels to sell us the same stuff over and over again, each time of less quality? It?s our choice.

I like music (70s rock mostly), but I think the music industry today has sunk to the bottom just like everything else on this planet. In the end, it's all about the money. It's all about selling out, selling millions of copies of a certain album, andthat's about it. Music has gotten worse and worse in my opinion since the beginningof the 1990s. It's not about the quality of the music - it's about the quantity of themusic one can sell. I'm not saying that it's only been like this since the early 90s,but it has gotten worse since that time. I can't really name one good band right now that I enjoy listening to. It's my opinion, yes, but there are many others who feel the same way as I do. That should tell us something.

It all depends on what you listen to. A bands I listen to run their own labels, so they play what they want, or are signed to smaller labels that want quality and not necessarily quantity (but it's always good to have a bit of quantity).