xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LikMeBalleFM

Comp Unable To Acces The Internet After Installing SP2

I have this huge problem which is the following.I just formatted my HD and re-installed Win XP,but now after I install Service Pack 2 my computer won`t get online.Can someone please help me out here? I`m realy stuck.ThnX in advance

...Unless there is a known issue about SP2 causing net failure we'll assumedly need more info.Type of connection, behind a router or not, is the router working with other comps/devices, can you access the router even tho the net is down...make sure to check that your ethernet card is installed properly in case you need drivers for it that got wiped in the format.Maybe someone can help regardless but I need more info :| haha

we definetly need more info, mainly are you dialup or broadband. If your connecting through dialup, is your modem working (does windows recognize it and are the most up-to-date drivers installed) or if your using broadband is the network card (ethernet) installed and working properly, also if your using broadband are you connecting directly to your cable "modem" or are you connecting to the net through a router-modem combination?Like Jeigh said with some of those questions answered we will be able to help you out alot more but for starters check to see if windows firewall is active and if so, turn it off till you get other problems solved, if you can connect to the internet after turning off windows firewall thats your problem and you need to configure it.If your connecting through a wireless modem make sure that the wireless zero service is set to automatic.Hope to hear from you soon...

didn't SP2 happen to install the Microsoft Firewall, which is now completely closed, preventing Internet Explorer from going to Internet ? Then, simply look what happens when disabling the firewall. And then enable it professively. B)-----------------Ha - ha ! Let me test the new "edit" button in Xisto Forum. Now I know that ElFoReal solved his problem. So I know my answer was only partly useful, so I can change my text. I could even see the errors I made and do as if I had the solution since a long time.Unfortunately, this cheating will not work because a statement "post modified" will appear at the ond of the modification. ;) Neverhteless, I like the ability of correcting an error. I already posted questions with misleading errors, which prevented people form helping me. This should not be the case from now.

Edited by yordan (see edit history)

yordan thats the reason they are asking for more information because you are correct when sp2 is installed it starts in closed status for obvious security reasons which include the routing systems included on your system right down to the webcam and tv capture device or built in monitoring devices on your video card, so according to the information Elf will provide we can guide him to the right setup procedure for allowing good secure access to things such as the net lan and various other activities either through shared access of windows firewall and third party programs or possibly it maybe third party programs at fault in the first place that he put on before trying to access the internet such as zonealarm or symantec nortons internet security and the like which all work in a similar fashion.