xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
snutz411

PS3 News

What are your thoughts on the news of the PS3 costing nearly $900 alone just for the parts?
https://www.engadget.com/

I think Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are trying to do way to much with a gaming console by turning it into something that it shouldn't be...an over priced computer. The XBOX 360 costs costs $300-400 depending on the model you buy, and Microsoft loses $150 or so in profit just to make one.

Sony will have to be selling the PS3 around the same price range, so Sony will just end of eating more of the cost. Since when was it a good business strategy to lose profit on each sale? How much technology can be pumped into these newer consoles before people start to realize that its literally just not worth the money.

Game developers are getting scared of these costs as well and are veering away some console systems. You can't be making much money if you are banking on developers to bring you a profit when they don't want anything to do with your system.

Or maybe I'm just getting too old for games (I'm only 20).

To me it seems that console makers are competing with home computer systems. Our PCs and Macs can handle any video games that creators can create, so Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have to convince buyers that they need to buy not a fifty-dollar CD-ROM set for their computers, but a separate gaming system AND the fifty-dollar game.Personally, the console makers haven't convinced me that I need to buy a gaming system. I'm not the world's biggest video-game fan, but I *do* play - and the titles that I really enjoy (GTA for example) are available for PCs.