xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

What Is Your Preferred Filesystem?

I am curious as to what everyone's favorite filesystem types are for linux. I only have a basic knowledge set about the varying filesystem types and the pros/cons so any and all information and opinions would be useful. Usually in the past if given the option upon installing a linux distro I've just used ext2 or 3 as I know they are both known to be stable and relatively fast. So are these actually the best or are there better alternatives out there? (Feel free to reccommend ones even if they aren't 100% stable, such as ReiserFS v4, but please make a note so I know not to assume it's perfectly complete heh)I've been doing some work on my system and will be reinstalling my linux distro and installing a new one (gentoo) soon enough so I figure getting some more insight into this could be nice. Thanks in advance.

Actually, I like 2 different filesystems:

ReiserFS 3

PROS

Robust

Easy to use

Resizable

Fast

Autocompression

CONS

When computer shuts down improperly, it'll take time to due a chkdsk.

Only up to 2TB on filesystem size

XFS

PROS

Large filesystem size

fast chkdsk

CONS

Not resizable

SuSE thinks its always corrupt :s

xboxrulz

I always use ext3 only. That's because it's the tried and tested file system for linux. I wouldn't mind reiserfs if it weren't for the fact that it causes some fragmentation problems and that it is not accessible in windows through explore2fs or any other program. I haven't had any problems so far with ext3 on my 17GB partition for Linux.

On linux I always use Ext3 and Reiserfs, and never had any real problems with them, I don't think I can add anything more. B)

in fact i think there are 2 good file systems, ext2 and ext3, others are not like these, they are so fast, most stable, has no known surious problems, but i recommend:1- ext2 for root partation (/) : ext2 journaling file system considered the most quickiest filesystem on linux and that gives sense i think why should it be on root partation, it makes your system fast bootable and for more quicker processing.2- ext3 for home partation (/home) : ext3 journaling file system has the best compression extention, so it is suitable for the function of home partation as it is the storage space.that's all i know about this topic.Note: i heared all this information from a friend before i switch to Linux more than a year ago. B)

For some reason I've always used ReiserFS since I started installing Linux for real (other times it was just for testing and finding a good distro).I have no idea what the differences are so I don't realy care.But, on my other (slower) computer, I used ext2, because the slackware installer stated that it would be faster than ext3, so that choise was made rather easy ;) . But what's the deal about the "journal"-thingie, because ext3 is the journaling (or something like that) version of ext2, but what is jounaling ??? Too bad that it's rather errorsensitive in case of an improper shutdown (linux crashed during compiling a new kernel, had to do a reset and chckdsk found loads of errors B) ).

journaling records all the transactions of data transfer for all the hard drives. It's very useful since if your computer crashes and requires a hard reboot, or some type of reboot, the scandisc won't take ages to scan. ReiserFS takes like 3 seconds to do a scandisc because of the journaling. Ext2 took me hours upon hours.xboxrulz

favourite FSWhat Is Your Preferred Filesystem?

I use xfs for filesystems with static data and ext3 for partitions with important and dynamic data; the latter it's not for performance but safety.

A few weeks ago I began thinking of JFS since it has good performance, maybe better than XFS, regardless of file size (at least that's what wiki says).

ext3 is good because I never had data or configuration info lost after power loss. On XFS it happened that after power loss, I had to reconfigure KDE AND I also lost everything that was written in Knotes.

I only use and will use journaling filesystems.

-reply by csabi