xisto Community
soleimanian

Windows Explorer Tips And Tricks

Windows Explorer Tips and Tricks

>>> Note: Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. before making changes to the registry, make a backup copy

>> How to increase icon cache

You can increase response time in windows explorer and give the Shell icon cache file more elbow room.

1- Click Start Menu > select Run, type "regedit" (without quotes) to run Windows Registry Editor.

2- Find and go to following address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer

3- Create a new STRING and name Max Cached Icons, give it value of 10000

4- Close Registry Editor and reboot your computer.

>> How to create 3D Effect for Window

You can create 3D effect for your window Explorer

1- Click Start Menu > select Run, type "regedit" (without quotes) to run Windows Registry Editor.

2- Find and go to following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Colors

3- Change ButtonHiligh value to 128 128 128, and change ButtonShadow to 255 255 255

>>> ButtonHilight=128 128 128

>>> ButtonShadow=255 255 255

And finally close Registry Editor and reboot your computer

>> How to sort Favorites and Start Menus Alphabetically

You can sort Favorites and Start Menus Alphabetically ( A –Z)

2- Find and go to following : HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/MenuOrder

3- Under this folder there are Favorites and Start Menu folders, just delete "Order" value key

4- Close Registry Editor and reboot your computer; your Favorites or Start Menus should now sort alphabetically

Windows Explorer Tips And Tricks #2

>>> How to run Windows Explorer in Separate Process

2- Find and go to following address HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer

3- Create a new DWORD and name DesktopProcess, and give it value of 1

4- Close Registry Editor and reboot your computer

>>> How to remove items from Windows Explorer right click context

2- Find and go to the following folders in the Registry and delete the sub key with the string that show the Item you want to remove

3- Close Registry Editor and reboot your computer

>>> How to remove File Menu in Windows Explorer

1- Click Start Menu > select Run, type "regedit" (without quotes) to run Windows Registry Editor

2- Find and go to to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

3- Create a new Binary Value and name it NoFileMenu, give it value of 01 00 00 00

Note: Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. before making changes to the registry, make a backup copy

ShortCutsWinKey+Pause: show system information;WinKey+R: shows RUN dialog Box;Alt+DblClick on the icon:show the icon properties;WinKey+D: Show Desktop;WinKey+M:Minimoze all windows;Well, this is not very useful! All must know!

Windows Explorer Tips and Tricks

>>> Note: Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. before making changes to the registry, make a backup copy

>> How to increase icon cache

You can increase response time in windows explorer and give the Shell icon cache file more elbow room.

2- Find and go to following address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer

3- Create a new STRING and name Max Cached Icons, give it value of 10000

>> How to create 3D Effect for Window

You can create 3D effect for your window Explorer

2- Find and go to following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Colors

3- Change ButtonHiligh value to 128 128 128, and change ButtonShadow to 255 255 255

>>> ButtonHilight=128 128 128

>>> ButtonShadow=255 255 255

And finally close Registry Editor and reboot your computer

>> How to sort Favorites and Start Menus Alphabetically

You can sort Favorites and Start Menus Alphabetically ( A –Z)

2- Find and go to following : HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/MenuOrder

3- Under this folder there are Favorites and Start Menu folders, just delete "Order" value key

4- Close Registry Editor and reboot your computer; your Favorites or Start Menus should now sort alphabetically

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartPanel]

"Max Cached Icons"="10000"

Adding this has sped up the start menu second panel in XP SP2 (sometimes variables are reused . ;-)

I'll add a bit to this list :unsure:

>>>Shows the contents of windows while moving them:

1. Go to the start menu, go to run, type in regedit, hit return.

2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop by clicking on the masses of folders.

3. Double click the key and change the value from 0 to 1.

4. Close Registry editor and restart windows.

>>>Change icon sizes:

1. Go to the start menu. Go to run, type in regedit and hit return.

2. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics. Click on WindowMetrics

3. Create a new value called Shell Icon Size. If you want a smaller icon, make the value smaller and if you want a bigger icon, make the value bigger.

4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

>>>Make Notepad word-wrap:

1. Go to the start menu. In run, type in regedit and hit return.2. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Notepad in the registry editor.

3. Either create a new DWORD value called fWrap or use the one that is already in the directory. Double click fWrap to change it to 1, which enables word wrapping.

>>>Create aliases for programs: (i.e., when you run a certain program under the name ASDF.EXE, it really runs something like NOTEPAD.EXE)

1. Go to the start menu. Go to run and type in regedit. Hit return.

2. Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths.

3. If you want to create a new alias, first create a sub-key, and call it the name of the alias you wish to create (i.e. "ASDF.EXE").

4. Change the default value of the sub-key to be the same as the normal path and filename of the application that you want loaded when this alias is asked to launch. (i.e. "c:\windows\notepad.exe").

5. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

>>>Allow quick reboot (Note: This only works in Windows 2000 and Windows NT)

1. Go to the start menu and click run. Type in regedit and hit return.

2. Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windo

ws NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

3. There should be a variable called EnableQuickReboot in there. Change the variable to 1 to enable it.

>>>Display hidden folders and/or files

1. Click on the start menu and select run. Type in regedit and hit return.

2. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

3. Create a new value called Hidden (DWORD value) and then set it to either 1 (display hidden folders and files) or 2 (do not display hidden folders and files)

>>>Forced no right clicking on the desktop

1. Click on the start menu and select run. Type in regedit and hit return.

2. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

3. Create a new variable called NoViewContextMenu (DWORD value) Set it to 1 for enabled and 2 for disabled.

>>>Change the amount of recent files showed

1. Click on the start menu and select run. Then type in regedit and hit return.

2. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

3. Create a new value called MaxRecentDocs (DWORD value) and set it to the number of recent files that you want displayed.

>>>Disallow users to view task manager

1. Click on start menu and select run. Type in regedit and hit return.

2. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

3. Create a new variable called DisableTaskMgr (DWORD value) and set it to 1 to disable task manager or 0 to enable it.

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

ShortCuts
WinKey+Pause: show system information;
WinKey+R: shows RUN dialog Box;
Alt+DblClick on the icon:show the icon properties;
WinKey+D: Show Desktop;
WinKey+M:Minimoze all windows;

Well, this is not very useful! All must know!

Also there are:
WinKey: Opens Start Menu (hehe)
WinKey + E: Runs Windows Explorer
WinKey + F: Opens Find Window
WinKey + U: Utility Manager (Accessibility stuff)
WinKey + L: (quick?) Logoff
WinKey + B: Focuses taskbar's toolbars and/or System Tray

I'm getting older and I just can't remember all these tips and tricks ;-). Merely saving them would entail my having to manually perform the required editing within the registry. Personally, I'm a big fan of the GUI, so I'd much rather have a decent looking but workable interface where I can pick and choose the tweaks I'd like applied.

Most, if not all, of the above listed tweaks are present in a number of tweaking utilities available with just a quick web search. Here are two of my favourites:

1. Microsoft TweakUI - One of the rarer instances where Microsoft has named a product which users will find easier to know the function of by looking at its name. v1.33 is older and is meant for users running Win 9x / ME / NT and Win 2000. The newer TweakUI PowerToy for Windows XP is one of those listed on the PowerToys page and needs at least Win XP SP1 or Windows Server 2003 to work. Lots of easily customizable options and explanations are provided. A tree style listing categories on the left and the actual tweaks available on the right make it very easy to work with.

2. Group Policy Editor: Although not an out-and-out tweaking software per se, it still has the ability to make changes to the UI and to other Microsoft components of the OS like Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and others. Very powerful, not for the faint of heart but worth taking a look if you love tweaking stuff to your staisfaction. Only available on Win XP Professional - you'll need admin rights to run it. START > RUN > gpedit.msc

An excellent guide for GPO. Heed the warnings well !

3. X-Setup Pro: The big daddy of tweaks! Supported by a community which frequently adds tweak and hacks that can be downloaded straight into the program. It has unfortunately gone shareware now, but here's a link to an almost as capable last known freeware version 6.6. It's largish in size ~4.1 MB but it also has the features to match - backups can be created, experimental plugins can be disabled depending on the user's level of proficiency etc. What I like best is the RECORD mode which logs all the changes made to the registry and allows you to save it in a corresponding REG file.

There are other tweakers like FreshUI too, but I've found X-Setup more than capable and beats the others hands down.

Thanks, it's good to know these Win-Shortcuts. I'm using a mac, where almost every shortcut is documented, but when I get to one of those rare occasions using a windows, I always get annoyed, because there are nearly no universal shortcuts. I thought the only really universal one were ALT-F4 and WinKey… ^^ Always got annoyed when forced to use Windows because I wasn't able to navigate with my keyboard.Does anybody know a web page, where all universal Shortcuts are listed?Thanks, Ruben

One other nice thing to do is selecting the desired windows in taskbar while holding Ctrl, and then right clicking any of them and closing all at once =) Very useful to clean up some serious mess.

Default Folder in Windows 7 ExplorerWindows Explorer Tips And Tricks

Windows Explorer (in Windows 7) goes to "Libraries" by default. Is there any way to change the default to a particular folder on the desktop. I have all my documents in that one folder and would like to save a few steps when opening. Suggestions?

image not clearWindows Explorer Tips And Tricks

after instaling new window xp image while using net is clear but after 2 weeks images which come while using net is not clear. I have downloaded flash player also. Give me some idea

-question by pradeep

Seriously, regedit?Windows Explorer Tips And Tricks

A lot of these things can be done easily through menu choices a lot simpler than regedit.

Example, Notepad Word Wrap:

Open Notepad, click on "Format" then click "Word Wrap"

Or the cool way, the keyboard.

Press the following keys:

Windows Key + R

notepad[enter]

Alt + o

W

That enables word wrap. No regedit key needed.

-reply by Roarke