xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
clear

Can I Use Dreamweaver With This Free Host ?

hi im new to all this im wondering i have dreamveaver can u use this free hosting on it

Yes. Dreamweaver is a professional WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web page editor. You design your site then you upload the HTML (or PHP or whatnot) up to the server live on the Internet.

[N]F

sorry if it isn't clear.. I've had a rough day and I'm not in the best mood right now but I'm trying to relax a bit.

Dreamweaver is quite a complicated WYSIWYG (pronounced wiz-ee-wig) editor, but it is the best. It produces clean code and helps you to complete your projects fast and effectively.

The only errors in the code it does cause is down to human error.

From what you have said, it sounds as though you don't know much about web design/development and looking to jump straight in. Well, I suggest you don't. I did that and it took me at least a year to realise where abouts I should take myself.

Firstly, go to THIS WEBSITE and learn how to use the web language HTML to create your web pages by hand. It will take some time and effort, but with patienc and practice you will get there.

After learning HTML, you might be tempted to jump into making your web page. Again, I strongly suggest you don't. Instead, start learning XHTML. It is a stricter and more valid version of HTML, and it helps you keep a clean track when developing. To learn XHTML, CLICK HERE

Guess what. You still aren't ready to venture the web design/development world. But don't worry, this part is the most fluent section. CSS - Cascading Style Sheets, these are the quintesential back-bone of any good web site. They control all of the styles, formatting, etc of your web page, and also help out a lot when compiling cross-browser friendly websites. To start learning CSS, got to THIS WEBSITE.

This may seem a lot for you to just learn how to make web pages, but trust me it is for your own sake, even if it will just be a hobby.

-------------------

Once you have made you website and you have all your images and such, it is easier to put them into a compressed ZIP file. The Xisto server can only extract ZIP files, so it's the best one to use. When you get your hosting account, go into File Manager, upload the ZIP file. Once it is loaded, click on it and select Extract Contents from the side panel. Hoping that you have your paths right, it should now be your website.

For more advanced tutorials on how to upload your work, when you have an account, just search throughout the forums.

Hope this helps,

--mik

If he's planning on using dream weaver to make a fairly straightforward page why would he need to learn xhtml and whatnot... I've seen people with absolutely no knowledge of a pages source go into dreamweaver and have a fairly good looking site within a short period of time that they managed to maintain easily...I mean personally yea I agree it's a good idea to learn that stuff eventually... but if he just wants to get a basic webpage on the net I don't really see a need to learn xhtml/css... even basic html is 'needed' to use a WYSIWYG as long as you don't wanna be fancy...

hi im new to all this im wondering i have dreamveaver can u use this free hosting on it

Yep, don't worry about it clear. Dreamweaver works on nearly every website host whether they be free or not. But I still agree 100% with everything twitch said in his above post. Design a website is one of the hardest things about websites. So just take your time, visit the websites he posted on CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) and HTML (Hypertext Markup Language), and then everything will be fine. The last thing you want to do is muck up your site! B)
Or an alternative to Dreamweaver, would be to use a CMS (Content Management System). These are basically a package which contains your sites design, layout, modules and everything. And because it's a content management system, you can modify it however you like to suit your purposes, via an FTP server (which Xisto also provides). I hope this helps.

Oh yea, I forgot to suggest CMS's... which is odd since I am using one currently... but yea those are really good especially for people who don't want to put a huge amount of time into a site to keep it up to date and still have it looking insanely professional. Most CMS's have a ton of theme's you can download, and it's not hard to mess around with the code to configure them to your personal liking. They also have a simple form based entry system usually for making news posts and whatnot and they automatically handle all the information you upload. If you want to have a regularly updated news page, or a blog like page, or anything of that sort, I would suggest checking out the CMS choices (they can be installed right in cpanel in the fantastico menu I believe)

ok well i think im sure i will figure somethink out just been playing around been some stuff watched a few tutirols and think they have vealy help me out so think il be ok from here thanks to all that helped me out

Firstly, go to THIS WEBSITE and learn how to use the web language HTML to create your web pages by hand. It will take some time and effort, but with patienc and practice you will get there.

Really nice site, I love it. A stopped at the "tables" level because of a big headache. However, this site is really interesting, I will often go back there. Thanks for that info.
Yordan

Have you tried frontpage? It more user friendly because most people are familar with the mircrosoft word program. Frontpage is easier to use, however it leaves a lot of junk codes even in the lastest verison.