xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

Firewall, The Movie

I’m not sure if this is of much relevance to this group other than a little fun. Just figured the ones that hang out here would find it more interesting than others.I just got back from seeing Firewall the movie, you know the one with Harrison Ford. I actually liked it and that’s usually hard for me to say. The plot was OK but what is usually a deal breaker with movies and me is the technology. You know what I am saying. A terrorist organization tries to take over the world by hacking into a bank or something else but as a real security professional (hacker) you are looking at it and saying bull s***. Or movies try to make hacking look all cool with nice graphics and the such when in fact you are at the command prompt 99% of the time and quite honestly there is nothing glamorous at all about it.So back to Firewall. Most likely the best “hacking” movie I have ever see from a technical point of view. I even saw cameos from Ethereal [http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/]and I believe snort. When one of the characters tried to run a CD from Linux, they had to run the mount command. A professional had to be couching the cast, this time I think they got it pretty close. Only thing that really got me was the standard car blowing up at the end but that doesn’t really have anything to do with computers.If you have seen this movie let me know what you think or comments on other movies and the real computer world.

Haven't seen it - but this reminds me of a certain thing. Remember the movie Independence Day? Remember - how the virus was UPLOADED to the alien ship and that too the upload progress showed a graphical progress bar ? ROFL. That was too hilarious.