xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kushika

Chmoding On Windows (apache) ? Howto ?

Hi, I've recently installed Apache 1.3.34 on my Windows XP machine. Does anyone know how to CMOD files to specific values? I've read somewhere that if you set the file to 'readable' that is the equivalent of CHMODing it to 777...is this true? By the way, sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. I wasn't really sure where to put this.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Hi, I've recently installed Apache 1.3.34 on my Windows XP machine. Does anyone know how to CMOD files to specific values? I've read somewhere that if you set the file to 'readable' that is the equivalent of CHMODing it to 777...is this true?
By the way, sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. I wasn't really sure where to put this.

You can't... chmoding is a Linux/Unix thing because Linux/Unix work all around file permissions.

Windows dosen't use file permissions like in Unix so you don't need to do anything. When the script executes, if it opens and writes to a file, it'll do that without anything in Windows, but will require CHMOD of 777 on Unix.

I've run plenty of scripts that require to be chmoded on UNIX to 777 and I haven't touched any file settings in Windows. Where did you read that you had to set the file to readable?

[N]F

You can't... chmoding is a Linux/Unix thing because Linux/Unix work all around file permissions.
Windows dosen't use file permissions like in Unix so you don't need to do anything. When the script executes, if it opens and writes to a file, it'll do that without anything in Windows, but will require CHMOD of 777 on Unix.

I've run plenty of scripts that require to be chmoded on UNIX to 777 and I haven't touched any file settings in Windows. Where did you read that you had to set the file to readable?

[N]F

I can't remeber where I read that...I think it was at another forum. On windows you can check the 'read-only' box in the 'Properties' dialog box. I'm not sure if this would affect anything though...

CHMODing as someone said is impossible.On Windows, you don't need to because Folders usually have no security implemented on default.If someone did implement a folder lock, then simply right click the folder --> properties --> permissions.xboxrulz

Don't worry about permissions on Windows it doesn't use them all files on your Windows Apache web folder most likely htdocs are chmod 777 (not really but they are treated the same). Unless you click a file and change its properties to read only or hidden (the only options except for advanced option of indexing it or archiving it) then you should have no problems with file permissions those are unix or linux only.

CHMOD Chmoding On Windows (apache) ? Howto ?

I have had problems with this when I want to run a script that needs to be CHMOD 777 via the FTP but I can so what else can I do for this one file I have set all permission in security tab to allow and it still dose not work. Is there no program that I can install that works with the FTP to set permission. 

-reply by William Archer