xisto Community
Ally1405241517

NEC 4550a To 4551 Crossfire Also 3550 - 3551 - 4550 - 4551. I know how to.

Hello everone!!!I have converted my NEC ND-4550A to 4551! And it can burn lightscribe. I have all software that needed and want to write manual later.So, if u want to crossfire you drive as i did than reply. If you have only 3550 drive you can convert it to 4551/4550 and your drive will write DVD-ROM.I have tested all. And I worked for about 20 mins. During that time have rebooted 2 time. I think if you search anywhere in the internet you found only "this programm will not be distributed".My friend gave me some programms that can patch drive's bootcore. Without it you can't firmware it. :)

I don't like riddle talk. It's a forum, speak slowly and coherently.If this is an illegal operation, then do not continue. However, if you are allowed to do this sort of hardware hacking, then by all means, share it with the world.

Could you explain a bit more? Are you talking of convertinga CDRW to a DVDRW? And yea ... as Twitch said, talk a bit slowly ;). We know you're excited and all, but it's hard to make out what you're saying B).

No. NEC 3550A and 3551A didn't read DVD-ROM.But, if convert it to 4550A/4551A it will be ! Not only read it will be write.Hardware hacking? No I think. Because where you read that we can't update firmware? It's normal firmware update. But it update not only fireware, also boot block. Look at Liggy's site. He said that his tool for converting never be realesed to public. And he said that didn't want to comment because.

Edited by Ally (see edit history)

Look, would you slow down and expand upon your points. You're giving me an headache. Please be coherent. Last time.So, in other words:1. Update the firmware to change the functions of the drive.2. Once it is updated, it will READ and WRITE.As for this Liggy, what are you saying? He said he wouldn't release it but he did? OR that you obtained it from him and passing it on with out his permission?I apologise for taking it as hacking, you didn't exactly tell us everything from the start.

Okay, here's the 'Liggy' he was talking about and here's what Ally has been trying to explain to us. Dam, I wish he would really make himself more clear.

I never even heard about NEC until I read this post. In any case, a little googling finally makes sense of it.

Never heard of NEC? Strange. They're a Japan based company, that produces many electrical items and especially micro-chips. Most of the micro-chips in my computer are fom NEC. In my country (England), they release many brands of mobile, mostly for use with the video calling network 3.Anyway, after looking at the site, I would not use the firmware update. It will throw your warrantee out of the window with NEC, as you are changing the workings of the product outside the end user range. IF they wanted you to update their hardware, then they would give you the resources.

Liggy did his utility and crossfired his drive.

He give his utility only to an Polish team. They tested and said that working.

But no one have this utility! Polish team do not distribute it because, liggy do not want. Understood?

My friend wrote utility that do same.

All problem in that after drive ID change it can't be flashed by other drive firmware. Flasher hangs.

To change internal ID you must send to drive special command. After it you can flash boot block. Where ID is.

Have you NEC drive? I can send you by email boot block flasher + main flasher (liggy's) + original 4551A firmware.

twitch,

It will throw your warrantee out of the window

You can backup you firmware. And when you drive crashed in 99% you can flash your original firmware.

Please not that it is IMPOSSIBLE to enable DVD-RAM support on 3550 and 3551 drives or Labelflash on 3550 or 4550 drives by using this drive converter.

See? I've do that ;-) Edited by Ally (see edit history)

as far as I've found on the net, the 3550 already supports writing DVD-roms.I tought Lightscribe required another laser, so your model was probably a downgraded model or something.Anyway, I won't recomend this to anyone, if the flash fails, the it's dead, completely dead and it'll be impossible to re-flash it. It's nice for the people that want to do these kinds of stuff, but even those people should be aware that flashing something from 3xxx to 4xxx is pretty riscy.

interesting topic...i think you guys should go easy on ally, we dont yell at you cause you dont know russsian! B)

but anyways...i dont really have any coments on the drive converting - read the manuals and stuff...looks interesting (i have a NEC drive myself but i dont need to upgrade it - cant anyways), but risky as well...lots of problems that could go wrong and i dont think id waste a good drive to try (unless it was worth burnin dvds and i had a couple drives to test ;))...but all in all...interesting ;)

anyways...ally - you said that if there were any language errors in your site/manual to tell you...there are a few (it is legible but kinda annoying)...

[quote name='http://err.hut.ru/error404.shtml this site you can found all about crossflashing your drives.

Warning: Author of this site do not make software/firmware and don't support it. I only collect it and wrote docs.

Warning: Flashing can damage you drive. If you aren't advanced user don't do anything. All software comes AS IS.

1. 10.02.2006: My site was openned.

2. 11.02.2006: I added firwares for ND-4551A and ND-4550A.

well yeah... :D heres what that should say:

On this site you can find all the information you need about crosfflashing your drives.

Warning: The author of this site does not make the software/firmware and doesn't support it, only collects it and writes docs.

Warning: Flashing can damage yoru drive. If you aren't an advanced user, don't do anything. All software comes as is.

1. 10.02.2006: My site was opened

2. 11.02.2006: I added firmware for ND-4551A and ND-4550A

if you want you can gimme the source for your english site and ill fix it up nicely for you...or i can just send you a pm with all the things that need to be fixed (no problem for me...i have plenty of time on my hands during school)

I think we get the idea now:IF you're going to flash your drive, then you only have yourself to blame if it goes wrong.But if you do want to flash it, then go ahead and try and make it better.

Edited by twitch (see edit history)

Wutske -> 3550A can't write DVD-RAM. 3550A, 3551A, 4550A and 4551A fully identifical but flash chip.

and who uses dvd-ram ???
As far as I know, dvd-ram is a rather dead medium.

actually no it isnt...i use dvd-ramdiscs are cheaper on the site i get stuff from (free shipping - theres like a 10 dollar difference) and they work just fine(still suppose not many people use it...its like a vhs B))