xisto Community
Kushika

Sharing A Printer Over LAN

Bacially I have 2 computers, both connected by a wireless connection. My computer is the "master" computer, while another one is sharing an internet connection through mine. My computer is connected to a printer via USB, and I would like the other computer to be able to use the printer aswell. In the past this guy managed to set it up....but after a few networking problems the connection to the printer via both computers somehow broke off. I've spent ages on trying to work out how to make it work. Do I need to install any drivers on the other computer? I have all software required installed on my computer, but not on the other one. My computer is running on Windows XP SP1, while the other one runs on Windows XP SP2. On my computer I have enabled printer sharing via control panel, (with the share name of 'hpprinter'). Any suggestions to what I can do now? I don't have access to any manual BTW becuase it's kinda lost in a big pile of other documents... On the other computer, I tried to click "find printer" but all I get is that no printer can be found. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You need to install the drivers for whatever computers that will be using the printer just as if the printer were actually connected to each one. Then you have to make sure that the computer with the printer has print sharing enabled otherwise it won't bee seen on the network. Try doing that first and let us know what happens.

Make sure you have file and print sharing enabled on both printers. You do not need to install the drivers first on the second computer because once it finds it over the network, then it will install the drivers for you.Of course you have to make sure your printer is set to be shared over the network. On the second computer you might to want physically add the printer by doing \\master computer name\printer name.If you did it all right, then you'll only have to do \\master computer name, and the rest should pop up

This site might be useful :)

Ditto what was mentioned in the earlier two posts there. You should be ok in that part already though since you are sharing the internet and gave it a printer name already. You just need to add the printer now. Choose to browse for it on the network and it should be detected.

First things first...please make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your particular printer. Check the manufacturer's website for updated versions if you are unsure. Though they may not be necessary, download drivers for all the operating systems present on your network. Place the XP printer drivers in an easy to remember location, or on a disk or CD since you my need them even after you install them.To set up a printer for sharing we'll first need to share your current printer, meaning we will make it available to the other computers on your home (wired or wireless) ethernet network.Go to 'start/control panel' and choose 'printers and other hardware' then 'view installed printers or fax printers.' Right click on the printer you wish to share and select 'sharing…'Choose the 'share this printer' option and give the printer a share name. Note that this name will be used to locate and identify the printer over the network, so it should have no more than 8 letters and no spaces or characters.

Bacially I have 2 computers, both connected by a wireless connection. My computer is the "master" computer, while another one is sharing an internet connection through mine.
My computer is connected to a printer via USB, and I would like the other computer to be able to use the printer aswell. In the past this guy managed to set it up....but after a few networking problems the connection to the printer via both computers somehow broke off. I've spent ages on trying to work out how to make it work.

Do I need to install any drivers on the other computer? I have all software required installed on my computer, but not on the other one. My computer is running on Windows XP SP1, while the other one runs on Windows XP SP2. On my computer I have enabled printer sharing via control panel, (with the share name of 'hpprinter'). Any suggestions to what I can do now? I don't have access to any manual BTW becuase it's kinda lost in a big pile of other documents...

On the other computer, I tried to click "find printer" but all I get is that no printer can be found.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

first, enable file and print sharing on the computer sharing the printer

second, on the computer shring the printer; go to the Printing and Faxes folder and right click the printer you want to share and click properties then, go to the sharing tab and click the shre this printer field and type in a name for the printer and click ok

third, go to the other computer and either type //your computer name and double click your printer's anme and it will automatically install the drivers needed to work or go to the Printing and Faxes folder and then, click add a new printer and the choose network printer then, click the connect to this printer and type //your computer name/printer name and then go through the wizard.

The above way is the way that I set up mine.However, if you wanted the other computer to be able to print without master comp being on, or if the above way just simply doesn't work for you, then I would recommend you get a wireless print server.just connect the wireless print server to the back of your printer on the mini-usb port and it will connect to your router and will allow printing easily.disadvantages are that they can be a bit expensive.Hope this helpsSaf

other computer doesnt find printerSharing A Printer Over LAN

what happens if other computer does not find printer?

it also doesn't find/show shared folders over the network either. On the host computer with windows xp, I have file sharing enabled. I have printing enabled. I tried renaming, recreating home networks. It still actually feels that I am not able to reach the network with the second computer through wireless network.

the printing over the network worked fine, until ISP brought new modem and new router to replace old ones. Now things seem to be messed up. It seems like there must be some setting be changed on the router, but I'm not sure what that would be.

host computer is connected directly to printer via usb and second pc is laptop connecting through wireless adapter. Router is netgear and series, don't have model number now.

any help would be appreciated

Ed