xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tripletriangle

The Xbox Power Cord Can Be A Fire Hazard

I never knew the X-Box could hurt you(no, It dosent grow legs and box you), Watch Out For this!

---

Microsoft is recalling power cords on 14.1 million Xbox game consoles worldwide because the cords may pose a fire hazard, the company said today.
An electrical component failure can cause the Xbox cord to overheat and emit smoke. In 30 consoles worldwide, the problem has caused minor injury or property damage. In 7 instances, users reported a burn to their hands. In 23 instances, customers reported smoke damage or damage to a carpet or entertainment center, Microsoft said in a statement.

The physical injuries were reported in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, a Microsoft spokesperson said. In all cases where damage was reported, Microsoft worked with the customer and resolved their claim, the spokesperson said.

Fewer than 1 in 10,000 consoles have experienced these component failures, and in most instances the damage caused was contained within the console itself or limited to the tip of the power cord at the back of the console, Microsoft said in the statement.

The recall affects the majority of Xbox consoles sold. As of December 31, Microsoft had sold 19.9 million consoles worldwide, 13.2 million of which were in North America, 5.0 million in Europe, and 1.7 million in the Japan/Asia Pacific region, according to the company.

The replacement power cords should protect consumers and their Xbox consoles from the component failure. Gamers outside continental Europe with an Xbox manufactured before October 23, 2003, require a replacement cord. In Europe, owners of Xbox consoles built before January 13, 2004, need a new cord, the company says.

To check if a new cord is needed and to order one, Xbox users should go to the Microsoft Xbox Web site. Replacement cords will arrive two to four weeks after order placement. Microsoft advises that, while waiting for the new cord, users should turn off their consoles when not in use.

Xbox users without Internet access should call their local Microsoft office.

Source: PC World

yes i had a letter from xbox and i had to order a new one off the website cos my xbox was one with a bad cord lol

I read about something like this in my physics book. The problem is due to the resistance that the wires contribute to the current of electricity in the XBox resistance. If the extent that you play your XBox becomes excessive, the insulation around the wire can melt, and a fire can result. You can prevent this by keeping the resistance in the wires small which I don't know how to do. :)

Yup, they showed this on WB2 News about 2 months ago. I already got 2 replacements for 2 Xbox's.That means I sold the other 2 at the local Game Force for an easy 20 bucks :)

yeah i read that srory.....but they had another news story...apparently it wasnt only the power cord that was the problem it was the power-supply for the x box and the cord was only half of the problem -Mistikpso-

yea i got a letter 2 so i resent it in and all was good. but everything wasnt really good, they sent me a screwed up power cord, so it didnt even work. no xboxing for a long time :) so i sent it back in and they finally sent me a new good working exelent kinda one and now im playing halo 2 like never b4! clan (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

yea i got a letter 2 so i resent it in and all was good.  but everything wasnt really good, they sent me a screwed up power cord, so it didnt even work. no xboxing for a long time :) so i sent it back in and they finally sent me a new good working exelent kinda one and now im playing halo 2 like never b4! clan (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

63173[/snapback]

those new powercords are excessively big and bulky, they have a red test switch and a green switch for power

Hmm, I better check and see if my power cord isn't bad... I don't think it is cause I've had my XBOX since it came out and left it on for weeks at time... I'll check just to be sure :)