xisto Community
pyost

Photoshop Tutorial: How To Make A Userbar For Signatures

How to make a userbar by pyost

Lately the userbars have become very popular with people. They are mostly putting them in their forum signatures, which is very practical. They are small, but can be used for linking.

A lot of userbars can be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and http://www.userbars.org/, but sometimes people can't find exactly what they want. This is why I have decided to make a tutorial on how to make you own userbar.

The pictures in this tutorial are made in Photoshop 6.0, so don't be surprised if you're Photoshop is different. I will be making a Thunderbird userbar.

First of all, you have to create a new picture. The dimensions are as shown in the picture below.

Posted Image

Next, you must choose you background color. It is best to use the gradient tool and the colors that would suit the thing you are making a bar for. In this case, I will be using a light blue color going to white (because of the Thunderbird logo).

It should look like this.

Posted Image

Now, we must add the diagonal lines seen in all the userbars. To do this, create a new picture, dimensions 6x6 pixels and transparent. Next, use the pencil tool on that picture to create a diagonal line like this.

Posted Image

When you draw that, go to Edit -> Define Pattern and choose the pattern name. Now go back to the first picture and the Pattern Stamp Tool in order to put lines into you picture. Since the lines are too bold, I would advise you to lower the opacity. I use 15% myself, but it's up to you to decide. After doing that, you get something like this.

Posted Image

Now it's time to add the logo to the picture. The logo must have transparent background, so when you put it it should look like this.

Posted Image

Now we've got only two things left. The first one is to add text to the userbar. For this, most people use the Visitor -BRK- font. That's what I'm going to use, too. When you choose the font tool, choose Palettes and do the following. Set the font size to 10pt, turn of anti aliasing, and increase the character spacing to 25. When you write the text, use the stroke option to create a black or white 1 pixel border, depending on the font color. Here's what you should get.

Posted Image

Then, you should add the elliptic transparent white part. In order to do that, choose the Ellipse Tool, select Create Filled Region and set the opacity to 30% or less to get the best quality. Create a new ellipse with this tool so that it's bottom part is located in the top of the picture.

The final thing to do is to add a 1 pixel border to the whole picture, and do it with around 20% opacity. I hope that there is no need to explain this. And here is the product – Thunderbird userbar.

Posted Image

If you have any further questions or want to comment my tutorial, you are free to do so.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Nice, you should submit this to the tutorial topic of Userbars.com. They already have alot but one more wouldn't do any harm now would it?As you can probably tell, I love userbars.

Sweet tutorial. But why do all these userbars have the same design all the time? As in with the transparent eclipse across the userbar and the diagonal striped lines? I mean it looks great and cool but its like ipods. Where the circlular navigation pad on it is what makes it so "hipp" and everyone thinks its cool. I guess that applies to this too? :)

First of all, not all the userbars have the same pattern. Some have diagonal lines, while other have artistic dots :) Also, some don't have the transpart ellipse. Your iPod example was really good. If somebody tried to make a variation, the public probably wouldn't like it.

In other news, here's an Xisto userbar by me :P

Posted Image

User bars looks nice, even though I don't look at them very seriously, but they are great. But when people, like above ads lots of them, it does not look normal in my opinion, to much is to much :)

As I don't own photoshop, only the Gimp, I still want to make userbars, so I found this easy tutorial to do it, if somebody is interested how to do it using Gimp, here is the link:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

( Link doesn't work anymore, at least for me, so try this one: http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?showtopic=9444 )

It's really easy, there are so much of those user bars, but maybe making a bit different ones, of already existing, is good too :P the bad side is that anyone can steal your custom userbar on which you worked :D

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Nice work :) It's good to see more people interested in this. The only thing I don't like is the font on the thompson addict userbar. It's a bit hard to see. Try using a white font with a black stroke around (or any color that you fancy)

I think it's useful in more ways. First thing, it has taught me how to make userbars. Second thing, it made me think about learning to use Photoshop. I'm a complete n00b at this so I think it won't be easy, but I'll give it a shot.Offtopic:finaldesign, I haven't noticed that you're from Croatia, we're neighbours :)

i have a problemsorry if everyone thinks ima noob but when i try to do the diagonal lines whe i click define pattern it says it cant comlete the action because the area is emptyalso how exactly do you add the photo?can anyone help?

when i try to do the diagonal lines whe i click define pattern it says it cant comlete the action because the area is empty

It's probably because you click "Define pattern" without anything drawn. This option allows you to make the current image a pattern. That's why you first have to DRAW the diagonal line (in a 6x6 transparent document), and only then click "Define pattern".

also how exactly do you add the photo?

First, you open the photo you want to add. Next, you select only the part you want copied. Then you press "Copy" and literaly DRAG the selection to the userbar (both images need to be opened). After doing that, locate the selection where you want the image to be and press "Paste". And there you go.