xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
danzarely

Are There Any 3d Text Based Games ?

I don't know of any such game in existence. However, I hope you realize how daunting and almost next to impossible task it'll be to come up with a TEXT-BASED 3D RPG to come even close to the ones in the market now, with all their ultra-realistic 3D Graphical Engines.

Wait..what? I think I'm missing something... how is a text based game 3d? Text is text... which is 2d... unless you use a pseudo 3d font in which it's not exactly any different :|So what are these '3d text based games' ? I'm kinda curious now...

i know i'm way behind in reply... but so far i've heard of one (api actually) that aims to convert 3d games into text...i think the lib is called "AA" and the example program included is called "BB"i actually discovered it a while back on a knoppix linux distro -- but there is a DOS version available as well

Yeah, I saw some cool programs which can convert images, for example 3D images into text documents, so it will look something like ascii art, it really is cool, for example it can even do animations, so in practice, you can play a game in such a mode :rolleyes: imagine some action game like Quake with graphics made out of letters, numbers and symbols B) Even though it wouldn't be cool, but it would look something you can't see everyday..So I guess the term 3D text games is something like that? with ascii art which looks like 3D even though really is 2D just isometric and you control everything with your keyboard, but it could be an adventure game or strategy like in the old days, due to quake can't be played like that :)

Yeah, I saw some cool programs which can convert images, for example 3D images into text documents, so it will look something like ascii art, it really is cool, for example it can even do animations, so in practice, you can play a game in such a mode :rolleyes: imagine some action game like Quake with graphics made out of letters, numbers and symbols B) Even though it wouldn't be cool, but it would look something you can't see everyday..
So I guess the term 3D text games is something like that? with ascii art which looks like 3D even though really is 2D just isometric and you control everything with your keyboard, but it could be an adventure game or strategy like in the old days, due to quake can't be played like that :)

Wow, that's really cool for such a game. First time of hearing such things exist as a game. Anyway do you know of any screenshots or images? Just curious. And does it look something like a lot of photos make up to a big photo? Errr.. if you know what I meant. :P

I have never heard of a 3d textbased game before...but how would it be any more interesting if you were to play a 3d game. 3D textbased games must be for realllllly casual gamers, because the closest thing I played that was not fully 3d was probably maple story, or gunbound. which were both had 3dish like environments but with 2d sprites.

Replying to danzarelyWell, there isnt such a thing called a 3d text based game, cus text is text. But there are browser/text - based games that include 3d animations, like "tribalwars" (https://www.tribalwars.net/).And there is ONE actual 3d game on the browser called RUNESCAPE (http://www.runescape.com/).-reply by my head is a head!

Other than the ASCII art mentioned above, I don't see how you can create a three-dimensional game utilizing text only. By descibing the gaming environment, you can try making it as 3D as possible but visually, it is next to impossible to make a 3D text-based game.

Isn't asking for a 3D text game like asking for a two dimensional cube? The closest I can think of would be a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book. It's text based and your imagination is in three dimensions.

You folks have such limited imaginations (and knowledge of computer history)! :) One of the really early text-based games is Adventure!, originally by Willy Crowther. Now it is known as Crowther and Woods 'Colossal Cave Adventure' game. This is a true 3D adventure, because the "Colossal Cave" mentioned by the game Adventure is a reference to an actual cave within the Mammoth Cave system in Kentucky. However, the game is not actually based on that cave, but is instead a remarkably faithful reproduction of nearby Bedquilt Cave.

I played the game from the original FORTRAN source, and had to examine the source more than once to figure out how to make use of the myriad "clues" in the game. Anyway, I once constructed a 3D model of the cave to help me work out the connectivity of many parts of the labyrinth!

You have no idea what you are missing if you haven't ever played one of these games. Compared with modern 3D GUI games, it is like reading the book instead of watching the movie! Your imagination gets to construct models that can be much more creative than what is provided by the animator and GUI illustrator.

There is a download website here. Have at it! :P