xisto Community
Kushika

Creating Tables In MySQL On Home Comp

Hi, I've tried seraching for a bit, but I couldn't find an answer to my questions. Recently I've succesfully installed Apache on my Windows XP Machine, along with PHP and mySQL. I need a database on my computer for testing purposes. I've enables mySQL in PHP, and both seems to be working fine. I can connect to the database, but how do I edit the database? E.g., edit rows or modify columns. I would much rather stay away from using the command-line stuff. I'm looking for a GUI Query program that I can use, but I have no clue which one to choose. It would be really nice if I could hear some opinions on which program is best to use, (bearing in mind that I don't want the program to be too big in filesize!)Thank you for reading this. I would really appreciate you help on this :)

Why don't you try phpMyAdmin? It's also provided by Xisto so I'm sure it's a good service. Here's the link to their homepage: https://www.phpmyadmin.net/

1064337351[/snapback]

Thank you for your help, I've tried to install it. It connects fine to the database, however, I get the following message:

The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using a multibyte charset. Without the mbstring extension phpMyAdmin is unable to split strings correctly and it may result in unexpected results.

I'm a newbie to PHP and mySQL....so... what exactly is an mbstring and should I bother to enable / install it?

That extension must be enabled in your php.ini file and depending on how you set up your apache server it can be in one of a couple of places, fist check the apache/bin/ folder (directory) and see if php.ini is there the line you want to look for is these

;extension=php_maxdb.dllextension=php_mbstring.dllextension=php_exif.dll
You may also have to check your phpmyadmin folder and make sure that the config.inc.php file has the right settings. By default MySQL has an accoun of root with no password, on your home PC it is OK to leave this as is, but if you do change it you must also make changes to the config.inc.php file that is in the phpmyadmin folder.
If you have never set up Apache, PHP and MySQL believe me it is much easier to use XAMPP or WAMP and it will set all that up including phpMyAdmin to work properly with your home PC or MAC, unless you have a lot of reference material about setting up all the above and don't mind entering all the proper configuration values I sould strongly urge you to just get an application that takes care of all that, unless you are planning on setting up a bunch of servers for others and get paid for it, it just is too big a hassle.

Thank you for your help, Houdini. It works fine now :) I actually installed everything seperately. It was a pain in the neck aswell, either way, it's good to know where all the config files are if you install it 'manually', plus I learnt something new. Maybe when I grow up I'll own some servers...I'm 14 right now. XD Thank you soooo much for your help guys! :P

Now get a book or look at some tutorials like from PHP Builder or even try php.net the home page where you got the link to your software. Yes I know how difficult it can be even with references to install and make it work, I installed Apache PHP and MySQL and it was frustrating and there is an order that you should go about the install for the least problems and that is Apache or any other web server, MySQL and then php. One important simple little program that you should have sitting on your server should be the phpinfo file and it is simple

<?phpecho phpinfo();?>
Save those three lines(with only one short line of real code and call it whatever you want that is easy to remember and to see what all is enabled on your PHP install, soon you will want to use GD and to use it you will have to enable the GD extensions you will have to enable them in your php.ini file. and they look like the below (for future reference).
;extension=php_gd2.dll
note the semicolon in front of that line, remove it and that will enable your gd extensions so you can play around with images and php. Of course if there is no semicolon then it should show up when you run phpinfo(), but I believe that by default it is disabled.

May I suggest a program that's far faster and WAY more powerful (and best of all FREE) when it comes to Administrating MySQL Databases ... it's called SQLYog and can be grabbed off https://www.webyog.com/

It's a terrific program and here's a comprehensive list of features:

Developer / User Productivity

* HTML Schema Documentation

* Shortcuts to quickly generate SQL statements and paste object names

* Learn MySQL by looking at the SQL generated by SQLyog

* Multi-tab Query Editor and Result-set Editor

* Multiple Query Execution

* Multi-threaded Query execution with option to stop long running queries

* SQL Templates

* Excel-style grid interface to view/update resultsets

* Multi-format Blob editor

* View data in Grid/Text Mode

* ResultSet/Data Export to CSV/XML/HTML

* Full Support from 3.23.38 to the latest 5.x

* Support for all MySQL table handlers

* Excel friendly resultsets/table-data export to clipboard/file

* Dialogless table and resultset editor

DBA Productivity

* Restoring / Importing large SQL dumps

* MySQL 5.x objects support

* User Management

* Managing hosted MySQL

* Connection Manager

* Index Management

* Relationship/Foreign Key Manager

* Reorder Columns

* Copy objects to another Host with single click

* Table diagnostics

* Flush Tools

* Object Browser

* Creating/dropping database

* Optimized for managing Hosted MySQL

* Profiling

* Multiple database connections

Technology

* Turbo Speed MySQL Management. Uses native MySQL C API - the fastest way to communicate with MySQL server

* 100% keyboard friendly

* Small compact binary

* Minimal use of Registry - easy migration of User Preferences by dragging and dropping config files.

* Non-cluttered look and feel, ability to show/hide panes

Supported Platforms

* Windows 98/ME/2K/XP/2003

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I highly recommend this over phpMyAdmin as this can manipulate remote databases too - and ever since I started using this, I administer my Xisto databases with this tool.. Incidentally this allows me to sync my local databases with the one's at Xisto DIRECTLY. And it's like 10000times faster than using phpMyAdmin.

Here's what phpMyAdmin CANNOT do that this software can:

SQLyog allows you do some of the cool things that your web-based admin app can never (ever!) provide. Some of these are:

* Ability to directly upload any ODBC DB ( Access, MS SQL, ORACLE ) directly to your MySQL without going through the cumbersome process of CSV/SQL export/import. An upload session can be saved as a job which can be scheduled.

* Provide context-sensitive menus.

* Prevents you from losing your work when you click on the close button of your browser!

* 100% keyboard friendly for turbo speed MySQL management.

* Synchronize the schema between your development server and the production server.

* Synchronize the data between your development server and the production server.

* Take scheduled backups with email alerts.

* and much more!

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Just go grab it, use it and give me some good feedback about it. I've been trying in vain for a while to spread the word around about this awesome tool - surprising that not many people know about it or use it despite knowing about it.

Ability to directly upload any ODBC DB ( Access, MS SQL, ORACLE ) directly to your MySQL

That's great ! I had trouble with Oracle to mysql because of some differences in describing the tables when I tried to do manually such a transfer, that direct upload seems really terrific.Yordan