xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

Happy Chinese New Year To All!

Hey all!

Happy Chinese New Year, for those who celebrate it.

I wish all, 新年快樂 (Happy new year), 恭喜發財 (Congratulations and be prosperous.), and 歲歲平安 (everlasting peace).

Events (approx.)

Chinese New Year - Jan 29 - Jan 30

Everyone's Birthday - February 4

"Chinese Valentine's Day" - February 12

xboxrulz

Happy New Year dude :) and to all the Chinese population on this board. Yeah here in Thailand we've a large population of Thai-Chinese and it's celebrated quite big here. Lot of fireworks going on.

Wish you all a very bright and prosperous New Year ahead :P

Best Regards,

miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

On behalf of the Xisto Team

I just found some cool facts about the Chinese New Year.. here goes:

*  When is the Chinese New Year's Day in Year 2006?

January 29, 2006 is the first day of the Chinese new year.

There are three ways to name a Chinese year:

By an animal (like a mscot).

This year is known as the Year of the Dog.

There are 12 animal names; so by this system, year names are re-cycled every 12 years. More.

By its Formal Name (Stem-Branch).

The new year is the year of bingxu.

In the 'Stem-Branch' system, the years are named in 60-year cycles, and the Name of the Year is repeated every 60 years.

2006 is the 7th year in the current 60-year cycle.

It is Year 4703 by the Chinese calendar.

[A few Chinese astrological/zodiac websites believe this year should be considered as Year 4704 for zodiac calculations.]

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

More can be found at the site mentioned in the source above.

Have fun :D

I'm year of the horse. "smart, attractive, charming" and other good stuff. but there's also "beware the rat" but I don't plan to marry a rodent anyway ;-). For those of you who don't know, the legend has it that Buddha asked all of the animals to meet with him, but only twelve showed up. He dedicated a year to each of these animals and said that from that day foward those born in each year will have some of the character traits of those animals. Correct me if I'm wrong though, so I don't go professing a false legend anymore. Can anyone calculate when the last year of the horse was? Was it recently?

it was in 2002. That was the last year. I'm year of the horse too.

xboxrulz

1064337235[/snapback]

Thanks! I'd ask when the next one is but I think it's better to find out /after/ the year has passed so that you can reflect on the luck you had rather than just expect it.

Happy Chinese New Year to all! So far, I've collected a few hundred ringgit (Malaysian currency) of ang pows. It's considered a rather small amount compared to my other friends :) Anyway, I was born in the year of the dragon. The previous dragon year was in 2000, so 2012 will be the next dragon year.