xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saxsux

What's Up With Gamma?

Gamma's been up and down like a yoyo recently. I know I made a thread about it, that M^E locked as the server came back up, but the server's gone down again and I'm just wondering what happened.Why is it doing this?

Sorry - this can be answered only by OpaQue. I don't have direct access to the servers. Unfortunately, I'd been away whole day - so I never encountered the problem myself - else, I'd have given him a ring and let him know. I believe you'd agree with me that this is a rare occurence, but yeah sometimes there's just too much load on our servers as it's running so many free hosted accounts with varying contents like huge photo/video galleries, mp3's etc. I think these downtimes (not really downtimes - but service request failures) happen because of sudden overloading at any point of the day. Also it could be the result of some router failure from your end to Gamma. This is more often than not - the true culprit. There's been so many times, I've whined and complained about Asta being slow and my site not loading - where others have looked upon me with astonishment, as their accounts were working like a charm. :) What can I say, $hit happens.Anyway, all seems fine for now - lets wait up and see.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It doesn't appear to be something at my end, every time it's happened the Xisto Helpdesk has reported it as being down too.

Posted Image

Sorry if it seemed I was complaining - a minute's downtime a couple of times in a week is hardly a major problem. I was just curious as to why this was happening. You, OpaQue, vujsa, and everyone else do a great job managing Xisto, Xisto - Web Hosting, Xisto and the two Trap17s, along with the forums, hopefully you can get this sorted :-)

Oh well, as you said- let's just wait and see what happens.

I'd be willing to bet peanuts that it is due to server load issues. If apache starts to take up a lot of resources it will crash. Usually it will restart itself given the system if correct configured to do so. Also, if I remember correctly, the apache process has to be restarted after every new account to update the httpd.conf changes. So it's possible you just happen to be connecting at the wrong times. I've had that happen. It not work, wait a couple seconds click refresh and the site pops up. If Apache has to restart under load it may fail or something else might of tripped it up.