xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dhanesh1405241511

Suggest A Multiplayer Game [1on1]

Ummm .. m bored, so was looking around the net, but m a lil weak in games, so thought would get advice from you guys. I am in need of a Game that supports multiplayer as in .. a friend of mine can connect and we both can play against each other, sumthing like keeping one as the server and jut entering an IP or sumthing. I dont know how this works but are games like NFS Most wanted, or counter strike etc capable of this .. waht are the tools needed .. I like playing games that include racing or shooter ... m still a kid by heart :) lolRegardsDhanesh..

A lot of games support TCP/IP. If you host a server tho you can just make it pass protected so it's limited to just you guys. I would just find a site dedicated to the game that you want to play and briefly read thru a readme.txt. You should find the answers your looking for. Hosting servers or TCP/IP would be your answer tho. Gl to you. I would recommend starting with a FPS like quake 3. Good fun. :)

Ahh quake 3 .. my fav deathmatch gamer .. i used to play that almost 4 hrs in a day after school ... Anyways ... so i have to set up a TCP/IP server .. hmm ok .. now how do i do that ? any examples or what type of search criteria should i go with on google .. or can some one just make a tutorial on how to ser up a server with 1 on 1 or only for limited 5-6 ppl to play online through the Internet ?RegardsDhanesh.

i would suggest u try runescape, this is an awsome game with quests to complete, skills to train, its very adicitive, and the best thing its free, with the option to become a member...hope this help u

There are 2 different types of ways to host a server in quake 3. Dedicated (which means it's purpose is to only host quake 3.
Generally people are paid to do this for clans. Then there's obviously not-dedicated, which means the server is being hosted
while you play. You will be going for the non-dedicated. If you was a hardcore gamer/clan leader you would want to configure your
own server so you could have more uptime for your members. Let's got started with the basic server.

In quake 3 (if you don't have it download the demo, it should work the same) simply click multiplayer.
Then click create ( to create a server).
Choose your map and style of play (Free For All, 1v1, Team...)
On the left hand side you will see several "slots". This
determines how many people you want to be able to join the server. For instance, there's you and if you want
your friend to joing, you would close all slots except one.
I'm not too sure what pure server does, but I think it makes it harder to cheat or something.
What you're looking for is to make sure is that "dedicated" reads "no".
Then click fight. Your server should be up and running.

Now in order for your friend to join this server he's going to have to know your ip address.
You could download a firefox extension to tell you your ip address or go to "start->run" Type "command" and hit enter, then type ipconfig and hit enter. There is your IP Address.

Your friend would then (after knowing the ip address would then launch quake, click multiplayer, click specify, and type in your ip address.
Or your friend could hit the tilde key in quake (beside the number 1 key, and below ESC) then type "/connect IPADDRESS_GOES_HERE"

There are several ways of creating a server, and this isn't the most efficient, nor most effective way. I'll leave this link to kinda guide you in the
right direction if you want to launch a server through a configuration file.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

One particular part of this article would be

TYPES OF DEDICATED SERVERS AND GAMESNOTE: You cannot play on your own system if you make it a dedicated server. It's "dedicated" to just serving up the game to incoming players.

The variable after the DEDICATED command determines if your server is broadcasted to the ID Master. 1=NO 2=YES If you want players to see your server on Gamespy, set this variable to 2

Free For All
quake3.exe +set dedicated 1 +set com_hunkmegs 16 +exec ffa.cfg

Tournament
quake3.exe +set dedicated 1 +set com_hunkmegs 12 +exec tourney.cfg

Team Deathmatch
quake3.exe +set dedicated 1 +set com_hunkmegs 16 +exec teamplay.cfg

Capture The Flag
quake3.exe +set dedicated 1 +set com_hunkmegs 26 +exec ctf.cfg

This is a dedicated server being launched, but why couldn't you changed dedicated to 0, or just leave it out complete (it should default to 0)

Ummm .. m bored, so was looking around the net, but m a lil weak in games, so thought would get advice from you guys. I am in need of a Game that supports multiplayer as in .. a friend of mine can connect and we both can play against each other, sumthing like keeping one as the server and jut entering an IP or sumthing. I dont know how this works but are games like NFS Most wanted, or counter strike etc capable of this .. waht are the tools needed ..

I like playing games that include racing or shooter ... m still a kid by heart  :) lol

Regards

Dhanesh..

1064336319[/snapback]

play chess, its the best 1 on 1

my favourite rpg game is the ADR RPG Mod for phpbb. i use the site kylejenkins.org. COMPATIBLE WITH PHPBB 2/3 (i think)p.s: soon, ill be hosting adr rpg mod as well! :-)