xisto Community
WeaponX

Creating Irc Chat Room...

Hi, I know that IRC is not for newbies, but we all have to start somewhere right? Well, I read and read...and read even more. But I still have questions on my mind before I dive into the IRC world. I have used IRC Chat before, but don't call myself a regular user :P I was never a OP before so this is a first...

If anyone can answer these questions to get me started, that would be great :D I apologize for the bunch of questions. I hope it's ok to ask these without getting a :) response back. I will continue doing more searching and reading online, but it's endless to say the least :P

I'm not sure if most channels follow the same commands (do they?), but just FYI, I'm looking into using the server at Wyldryde.

1. Is there a way to see a list of all the options (settings) for my channel? For example, the current modes set (voice, who can set topic, secret channel, etc.). This and others...(channel info, etc.).

2. How do I use the word filter? Any way to add them in groups instead of one by one?

3. For the mlock feature, is there any way we "append" to the permissions? Because it looks like if I forget to put all the mode settings, it will automatically reset to +r instead (and I don't want to configure everything only to make a mistake like that and have it reset everything). Also, do I have to use mlock in order to keep the mode settings? I tried using /mode but if I logout and come back to my channel all mode settings are reset to default again.

4. How do I add a description to the server for everyone to see (when they use /list)? Tried the desc already and seems to set only channel one (not in server list description).

5. Also, why can't I do some of the things (like /mode #my_channel) if I didn't join my channel yet? I registered it already though...

6. How do I add a rule/policy for my chatroom like I see when I first join a server?

7. Is there a way to hide the permission settings from regular members (like so and and so set +r for...)?

8. I read some of the topics here at Asta and see Auto-OP used. Is that a wise decision? What is Auto-OP exactly? Doesn't that just give you OP permissions once you login? You still have to use nickserv though right?

I want to start a IRC chat room soon. Looking into how to use Bots now :P I'm sure I'll have some questions on those too.

Thanks.

Hey.

I'll answer the questions that I know something about and leave the rest for a more adept person to field. I hope my answers help a little.

1. When I used mIRC (back when I could still access IRC - stupid college blocks), I just double-clicked in my channel window to see modes, change modes, check out banned users, and even change the channel's topic.

2. Read your IRC client's Help file. It should explain the word filtering system and how to use it. Just a helpful tip: a lot of the stuff you want to know can be picked up, then fine-tuned, by trial and error. Try different things with the word filter options to see what happens. You can always undo the settings and erase unwanted entries if they don't work out.

Or, as I used to do with mIRC, you can check out the client's Web site, which often has a FAQ. Or even a forum so that you can get all sorts of great help from other users.

5. You have to be in the channel to change things.

6. You're probably thinking about an auto-greeter. Read up on your IRC client's options. mIRC, for example, lets you program this sort of thing - automatic greetings as well as responses to certain actions (provided that you know some very rudimentary programming, which can be picked up by reading the help files very closely). For greets, in which you can point out channel policies and explain any other things that new visitors might need to know, you'd have to program mIRC's "remote."

8. Auto-op isn't a bad idea. The worst that can happen is that your channel is taken over by bored teenagers, who will eventually have to get offline to take out the trash for their Moms. And if that actually happened (not extremely likely - it usually occurs because ops give +o to people who just walked into the channel ten seconds ago), you can usually get some sort of help from an administrator.

The easiest way to figure out all this stuff is to read Help files. Most IRC clients that I've tried (five or six, including mIRC and pIRCh) include very specific and detailed files to help you get the idea of what's going on.

Thanks Sarah81. Actually have mIRC installed also :D Will read up more on their FAQs.I will take a look at my current IRC program (IceChat) and also mIRC and see if I can find some of the solutions to the questions I have. Will post back if I'm still baffled by all of this :)Just wanted to be sure I know what to do before I dove into the IRC world :PThanks again.

1. Is there a way to see a list of all the options (settings) for my channel? For example, the current modes set (voice, who can set topic, secret channel, etc.). This and others...(channel info, etc.).

Ok type /msg ChanServ INFO #channel ALL

2. How do I use the word filter? Any way to add them in groups instead of one by one?

I don't know.

3. For the mlock feature, is there any way we "append" to the permissions? Because it looks like if I forget to put all the mode settings, it will automatically reset to +r instead (and I don't want to configure everything only to make a mistake like that and have it reset everything). Also, do I have to use mlock in order to keep the mode settings? I tried using /mode but if I logout and come back to my channel all mode settings are reset to default again.

Register it so you can leave it. /cs REGISTER #channel PASSWORD DESCRIPTION

4. How do I add a description to the server for everyone to see (when they use /list)? Tried the desc already and seems to set only channel one (not in server list description).

It uses the TOPIC set.

5. Also, why can't I do some of the things (like /mode #my_channel) if I didn't join my channel yet? I registered it already though...

I don't know. It might be that SErvices setting.Type /os mode #channel MODE
That's if you are super admin.

6. How do I add a rule/policy for my chatroom like I see when I first join a server?

You cannot set that for your local channel unless you make a bot that does it when someone notices it with a certain word.

7. Is there a way to hide the permission settings from regular members (like so and and so set +r for...)?

Probably but itd be using services.
I hope that helps. I help run a server FYI. I don't recommend auto-opping people who join. Just Half OP (%/Access Level 4) or have a special servant who is protected op (&/Access level 10)

What I said is for unrealIRCD 3.12, non-ssl installation.
Edited by SilverFox (see edit history)

Ok type /msg ChanServ INFO #channel ALLI don't know.

It uses the TOPIC set.

I don't know. It might be that SErvices setting.
Type /os mode #channel MODE
That's if you are super admin.
You cannot set that for your local channel unless you make a bot that does it when someone notices it with a certain word.
Probably but itd be using services.

I hope that helps. I help run a server FYI. I don't recommend auto-opping people who join. Just Half OP (%/Access Level 4) or have a special servant who is protected op (&/Access level 10)

What I said is for unrealIRCD 3.12, non-ssl installation.

Wow thanks guys that really helps me out also!

Registering

Creating Irc Chat Room...

I can't seem to register my chatroom and asks me to register at cservice but cservice is not accepting new users as of the moment.

-imanhorn

Bit old topic it seems but one of the newest in this board so I guess it's fine.

Feedbacker: looks like there isn't a lot you can do about that except get to know an IRCOP and have him do it for you :) (not a realistic scenario)

I don't recommend auto-opping people who join. Just Half OP (%/Access Level 4) or have a special servant who is protected op (&/Access level 10)

Don't be too stingy with op statuses, That doesn't mean you need a lot but don't be too stingy, ops are needed and if there are very few ops then things can get out of control.

Some other tips:

Don't mlock -imr --> they can be useful at times when for instance a chanflood or any other attack is being done. Even in the beginning it's useful to have other ops especially in other parts of the word as they are on when you aren't so you have a longer op presence

As op don't have anyone in the chan on your ignore list. --> This may be tempting at times but it's a killer, you need to be able to see what everyone is doing. Even as just normal users in a chan I don't recommend ignoring people unless it's really needed. It can be a pain in the *bottom* how the conversation goes when there are ignores.

Use the services well. --> Learn how to work with it and use the tools given. Learn modes etc. for a lot of servers that can be different.

Don't think too big in the beginning. It takes a while to build up a chan, don't get impatient.

Websites help. --> having a website that goes with your chan helps, especially if it's a chan for a certain topic. IRC chans are often used together with forums to for a community this will increase your user base.

Don't go raging around and really being an active op (banning, trying to sort out every little argument in the chat) --> Most situations solve themselves being THE OP generally only makes the relationship between people worse and resulting in people leaving. You'll lose less people by stuff sorting itself out then by you trying to control everything.

There is more but that's the most important.

Issue with the Rizon bots...Creating Irc Chat Room...

Okay, so, I just started my own channel, and upon getting Protected Mode on for myself, the server bot I had in the room also got protected mode, now while this isn't exactly an issue(to my knowledge), I dislike the fact it has Protected Mode, is there anyway to prevent a server bot from having it, while retaining it myself?

-question by Jingles